We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mt shasta area or mammoth

ca
2 posts
Save Topic
mt shasta area or mammoth

we are trying to plan our summer vacation with 3 boys ages 2,4, and 8. They want to do some fishing and to do some light hicking. They love animals, rocks, volcanoes..etc.... I am not sure if mammoth would be better than mt shasta. any suggestions on what to do and how to plan our trip would be appreciated. We can go in mid july of mid august. also would like to stay in a comfortable hotel suite we will be traveling north from our starting point.I think the I5 is the route we would take. please help

London, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mt shasta area or mammoth

Hi Lucy

We haven't been to Mammoth, but did spend a couple of days at Mount Shasta last year on our way to Oregon, and loved it.

We stayed in a lovely 2 bedroomed cabin at the Mount Shasta Resort by Lake Siskiyou. Although the resort does not have a swimming pool for the boys, around the other side of the lake is a swimming beach with kayaks and tubes for rent.

We didn't do any fishing or hiking so I can't comment there, but it is a lovely area. Hope this helps.

San Leandro...
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mt shasta area or mammoth

Sounds to me like Mammoth has everything you want. There is plenty of fishing. The town isn't called Mammoth Lakes for nothing. If they like volcanic rocks they would love a hike to Devils Postpile. Since Mammoth is a ski resort there is plenty of lodging - not just hotels but condos as well. Unfortunately you don't get to Mammoth from I-5. It's on US 395. You can reach 395 many different ways from the west and south, but if you're determined to be on I-5, you can take CA 120 and go right through Yosemite to reach Lee Vining. From there Mammoth is just a few minutes south. Yosemite is a good detour for kids who like hiking and fishing.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mt shasta area or mammoth

DH is from Mt Shasta and inlaws are still there so I know all about the area. We also go to Mammoth Lakes every summer. I would definitely go to Mammoth Lakes. There are tons of lakes for fishing, there are tons of hikes. You can visit Devils Postpile, the earthquake fault and Obsidion Dome - all easy access. Also lots of bike riding and some nice parks right in towm. We stay in Juniper Springs. Great Condo but more like a hotel with a nice lobby and all doors open onto a hallway like a hotel. Also daily maid service. They have a heated pool and 3 or 4 jacuzzis. Very nice place and great deals in the summer. We get a 2 bedroom/2 bath and it comes with a livingroom area that is shared with a dining room table plus there is a full kitchen.

4. Re: mt shasta area or mammoth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 10:21