We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a few days in murphys

.be
Level Contributor
77 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
a few days in murphys

i'll be in murphys, ca. (attending my brother's wedding) for a few days (nov.).

what are things to do/see in the area?

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a few days in murphys

Murphys is a great little wine town with over half a dozen tasting rooms right in downtown, walking distance from each other. Ironstone is a short drive and has a tasting room, gallery, gift shop, great grounds for a picnic and a wonderful museum with a huge gold nugget in the vault and usually something intriguing going on.

The downtown Murphys area also has several art galleries and antique shops, a fun little museum and many good restaurants.

A bit further up the road is Calaveras Big Trees State Park, one of the best little parks in the State. We think these trees are much easier to access than those in Yosemite and the park offers some great hikes.

All along route 49 are the gold mining towns of yore. Some better restored than others, most have highly walkable downtown areas. Columbia State Park is one of the best. You can do some panning for gold, what a smithy at work, select your favorite taffy, ride a stage coach and occasionally witness an old fashioned bank robbery.

If you enjoy spellunking, there are 3 caves to explore, all close to Murphys.

Have a fantastic time!

.be
Level Contributor
77 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a few days in murphys

thanks for the information.

i probably won't have a car and i noticed greyhound doesn't service the town. how close can i get to murphys by bus?

any other suggestions?

.be
Level Contributor
77 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a few days in murphys

i have done some reading on the web and the area does offer a lot of things to see/do.

still struggling with my transportation issue, though. i just need to get there (one way). from murphys i will drive up north with my brother.

taking a bus (from sf) is not an option?

seems like i will have to rent a car after all, right?

Get answers to your questions about Murphys