We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Critique my itinerary!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
172 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Critique my itinerary!

In case you forget, my husband and I are traveling up to Napa for our one year anniversary and we are staying in San Fran for two days prior. We love red wines, esp. Shiraz (Syrah), Pinot Noir and Malbec. Riesling, Sauv Blac and sparkling wines are our preferred whites. I've put together a tentative itinerary, but I'm a bit concerned with my last day. There are so many wineries but just not enough time! Is there anything I should cut? I've only made reservations so far where indicated. Thanks for your input and all of your great recommendations!

Sunday

~Drive up from San Fran after breakfast

~12 pm Mondavi To Kalon Tour (12-1:15)--reserved

~1:30 Frog's Leap tasting

~Mustard’s Grill at 2:30 pm for lunch

~Domaine Chandon—3:30 pm (tasting only)

~Check in at River Terrace Inn (reserved) and hang at the pool

~8 pm anniversary dinner at Redd

Monday

~Breakfast at the hotel

~Platypus tour from 10:30-4:30

~Dinner at either Zuzu, Zinsvalley or room service (cheese plate) & video rental

Tuesday

~Breakfast at hotel

~10 am Tasting at Vincent Arroyo

~11 am Clos Pegase tour/tasting

~Frank Family (if don’t hit it on Monday with Platypus) or stop by Old Faithful if there's time

~12:30 Hit Oakville Grocery and then head to Plumpjack. Picnic at Plumpjack either before or after visit.

~2 pm Cakebread tour/tasting

~4 pm Seduction Tasting/Tour at O’Brien--reserved

~8 pm dinner at Celadon--reserved

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Critique my itinerary!

kellianne-

This is a GREAT itinerary (and we see a lot of them).

Our only concern is the Mondavi tour/Frog's Leap appt. We'd never schedule this tight. If you get to Mondavi at 10:45 you can take the 11 am tour, which will have you done by 11:30, and out of there by 11:40. You'll then have a bit of time before Frog's Leap-- you could go to the Oakville Grocery, do a bit of tasting, and buy fun stuff for your foodie friends.

On your last day, you will have a very different view of the world (hopefully) from spending a few days here. So don't stress it too much-- just play it by ear.

As long as you don't get bent out of shape by changing (canceling) appts at the last minute, you'll be fine.

This really is a superb itinerary. It bears a strong resemblance to the ones we set up for our guests! :)

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
172 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Critique my itinerary!

Thanks so much for your kind words and advice! It looks like I needed to tweak a few things anyway as Frog's Leap is closed on Sundays. But it's a blessing because my new itinerary allows for a little more time.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Critique my itinerary!

Gosh you're right-- we didn't catch that Frog's Leap was scheduled on a Sunday!

If you call them (you need to for a tasting anyway), why not see if they have a spot to picnic on Tuesday? That way you could switch out with Plumpjack.

Just a thought . . .

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Houston
Level Contributor
180 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Critique my itinerary!

Also, Cakebreak only has tours at 10:30 if my recollection is correct.

Wyckoff, NJ
Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Critique my itinerary!

What about where to stay? Location Location Location.

Napa downtown?? Yountville?? Or St. helena??

Looking at staying in the rose garden inn in st helena? Any word on that? www.rosegardeninn.net

Please advise.

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Critique my itinerary!

IMO, three tours in a day is a bit much unless you are gung ho on seeing the inner workings for some reason. I think I would do a tour at either Clos or Cakebread and not both. Then taste at a really small off the beaten path winery near there so you get a sample of what that's like. You're going to hear the same things...fermentation, bottling, turning barrels, tapping barrels, etc etc at all 3. If you were touring where they made a sparkling wine, the process is different. This is just my opinion, I'm not saying you are right or wrong.

The last time we were in Napa, we stopped at Baldacci Family Vineyards and it was empty. The lady said we were the only visitors that day! She spent an hour with us looking at wines, talking about Napa history- we even went out to the vineyard and looked at the budding. Very cool. We got the same treatment at William Harrison winery- wonderful! That's actually more informative than a tour, IMO.

Get a winery map when you're out there and stop at a little one!

7. Re: Critique my itinerary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 13:20