We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help finalize itinerary

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
WV
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Please help finalize itinerary

DH and I will be in Napa Valley 11/11/07- 11/13/07. What do you think of our itinerary? Any suggestions/comments would be great!

Sunday 11/11/07

-Pick up rental and depart from San Fran in the am

-Muir Woods

-Possibly Taylor's Refresher for lunch?

Robert Mondavi Tour at 3:00 pm

Dinner: ?

Monday 11/12/07

We have reserved a town car and driver for the day

10:00 Frog's Leap (up in the air....interested in learning about their process and have heard they have good wines, but don't want too many tours.)

Pick up lunch from Oakville Grocer and drive to a winery for picnic (possibly clos du val?)

3:00 pm Del Dotto Tour

9:00 pm Reservations at French Laundry

Tuesday 11/13/07 (DH's 30th B-day!)

We have booked Platypus Tours- would like to find a great chocolate/chocolate cake to take with us for DH b-day...Any suggestions?

7:00 pm Reservations at Bleaux Magnolia

Wednesday 11/14/07

11:30 Schramsberg Tour

10:30 pm Flight departs SFO

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggestions for smaller, non-commercial winery for Monday?

I really want to try Hagafen- when would be a good place to fit it in

Did we overplan on the wineries?

How long should we allow to get from Napa on Wednesday to the airport?

Thanks!

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help finalize itinerary

Looks like a nice, leisurely pace.

Congrats on getting into the 'Laundry! :)

Check out Sweetie Pies for that chocolate chocolate cake.

Or, if you haven't OD'd on the French Laundry, call Bouchon Bakery ahead of time and have them make a special cake for you. :)

DO tell the FL it's your hubby's B-day. They'll make it special, in a very FL way (we've been the recipients of this first hand).

Absolutely make reservations at Frog's Leap if you intend to go-- it's better to cancel at the last minute than just show up (it's very hard to get a tour/tasting if you don't reserve ahead of time, just b/c they are so popular and only take a limited # of guests each day).

We'd do Hagafen after your Oakville Grocery trip-- before Del Dotto (just as an FYI, as far as we know, Hagafen does not have picnic grounds).

And allow 3 hrs from your departure time to leave the town of Napa (add +15 min for Yountville, +30 min for St Helena, +45 min for Calistoga). The 3 hrs allows 1.5 hrs for the drive, 30 min to drop off the rental car, and 1 hr for check in/security.

If you're driving back during commute (7-10am or 3:30-7pm), add another .5-1.0 hrs (for a 10:30 pm flight, you should be able to leave at 6:30 or 7 pm on Wednesday and make it, no problem).

Our best advice: Get a really good map, and talk to locals. The innkeepers where you are staying will be lots of help-- don't be afraid to ask them-- that's what they are there for! :)

Have a great time in Napa. It's a magical place.

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help finalize itinerary

My wife and I just made the trip from napa to SF airport to catch a 10:30 PM flight home. We left Napa around 5 PM. Trip to airport took 2-2 1/2 hours.

I suggest dinner at Don Giovanni's in Napa (right on Hwy 29). Fantastic italian food!

We personnally like to do more wineries (3-4 a day) so I don't feel you have overplanned. Obviously, very much up to your personnal tastes. Del Dotto has a great barrel tasting tour through their caves.

For a smaller winery... I would sugget Cliff Lede in Stag's Leap district (wonderful cabs) or Staglin. Salvestrin is a small winery on Hwy 29. Great wines, small family owned winery. Cliff Lede and Salvestrin may allow walk in tastings but I always suggest reservations for the wineries.

Have a great time!

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help finalize itinerary

Thanks to knbn for confirming our exact travel time estimates! (1.5 hrs, plus 0.5-1.0 hrs if during commute)

Going back to the airport during morning or evening commute can really make for a long drive. It's worth it if you can figure out how to avoid it. :)

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help finalize itinerary

We rented a limo for one day and here is some advice. Do not let them plan your day as I suspect our company had arrangenments with the one winery, Frazier, which had a bad tour/tasting. Research it yourself and plan an itinerary. By all means, preorder your food a day or 2 before at Oakville Grocery so the driver can pick it up while your tasting. Why waste time as we did. Miner and Robert Sinksy are near Oakville and both have great tastings and wine. Sinksy gives you a little snack with the tasting. We liked the tasting room at Jessup at the end of Yountville. Darioush has pretty grounds and a fancy tasting room but the $20 fee does not apply to wine purchases. Then you could go to Vintners Collective tasting room that repesents many small wineries. Good tasting and I bought a lot there. Other places to consider are Nickel and Nickel and Cakebread. I did not go to Del Dotto but have been told that you taste about 11 wines/ ports and has to be your last stop. The tour is supposed to be very nice. But i have heard that if you go there, you better pace yourself at the other wineries.

5. Re: Please help finalize itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 20:18