We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

V. Sattui

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dfc
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
V. Sattui

Hi,

We will be visiting Beringer on Wed. November 9 for a tour that starts at 11:00am and ends around 12:30pm. I would like to do a picnic lunch at V. Sattui since it is very close. But, I search the forum and all I see is that V. Sattui is mobbed during lunchtime.

Does anybody have an idea how busy V. Sattiu will be during a this weekday during November. My wife hates really crowded places, so if it's going to be mobbed, I would rather find somewhere else.

Thanks....

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,434 posts
5,231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: V. Sattui

V. Sattui in middle of November on a week-day (versus week-end) should be pretty good.....The summer is where it gets really really crowded. If you do find it too crowded though, the back-up plan is: Go to Dean and Delucca across the street (its a delicatessan grocery (great place just to go by itself) with great sandwiches and many other great food products) and then head north to one of the state parks such as Bale Grist Mill State Park http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=482. They have picnic tables there and in November should be able to easily find one on a week-day. Enjoy your trip!

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: V. Sattui

dfc-

I second mini's recommendation on Dean & Deluca if V. Sattui is too busy (but it should be fine if you go midweek after Nov 5).

Many of our guests like to pick up picnic lunches at Dean & Deluca or the Oakville Grocery, and then go to a winery for a picnic lunch.

Just do a search on these forums using the keywords "winery" and "picnic"-- you'll find lots of great spots.

I would try V. Sattui first though-- it's a great place!

-Russ Herschelmann

Innkeeper

Napa Old World Inn

dfc
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: V. Sattui

Thanks mini and Russ, this is alittle off subject.. But, what can I expect to pay to ship my wine home to Texas. Just ball park values. I just want to have an idea so that my wife does not pass out after we have bought 20 bottles of wine!!

Many thanks!!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,434 posts
5,231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: V. Sattui

Here's a rough shipping guide that is on the Viansa web site:

6 to 12 bottles is about $42.00 by UPS.

viansa.com/customer_assistance/shipping_retu…

Then click on Texas...

Enjoy your trip.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: V. Sattui

dfc-

We called a few places for our guests, and have seen rates run from $35 to over $130 per case (!).

Sadly, the UPS store had one of the highest prices. Buffalo Shipping Post (in the town of Napa, just off Hwy 29) is friendly, and has some of the lowest prices.

Enjoy!

-Russ Herschelmann

Innkeeper

Napa Old World Inn

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: V. Sattui

Oops- need to clarify: Shipping via UPS or FedEx is the way to go. Just don't ship through "the UPS Store" in Napa.

Also, if the weather is hot in either CA or TX, consider spending a few extra bucks and shipping your wine 2 day air. Considering the cost of the wine, it's better to do this than have it sit in some 100 degree warehouse or cross-country truck for a few days!

-Russ Herschelmann

Innkeeper

Napa Old World Inn

GAN
RI, USA
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: V. Sattui

I can second Russ' word regarding the "UPS Store" in Napa -we had the misfortune of shipping from there last minute. The price is outrageous, but we paid because we weren't sure where else to go. It was the low point of the trip -we should have figured ahead just like you're doing! Have a great time....you'll love it.

Arlington, Texas
Destination Expert
for South Padre Island
Level Contributor
809 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: V. Sattui

Back in the day before Texas changed the wine shipping law (hooray), we sent several cases of wine home from one of those pack and mail places in Sonoma. whew, it cost a pretty penny, plus was a real hassle to fool with. Now, it is much easier because the wineries will ship to Texas. I was just there last week and bought a case of different wines from Buena Vista; I was just looking on my receipt and can't find that they charged shipping at all (it may have been figured in with some other cost, but I got a 15% case discount). A couple of years ago when the law was still iffy, some wineries would ship, others wouldn't. We were at B.R. Cohn in Sonoma and purchased wines from them, so they were already shipping to us, and they graciously shipped the other wineries' wines to us also! Of course, they charged for it, but it was far easier to let them pack it and send it than for us to tote it around in the trunk of the car, look for a place to send it from (wasting precious tasting time), pack it up, etc. Bottom line: let the wineries ship to you, you won't have a problem filling up a box!