We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

special anniversary dinner downtown?

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
283 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
special anniversary dinner downtown?

looking for a place to make reservations for a anniversary dinner. we will be staying at the AVIA napa and hope for something close by. we do have a rental car. suggestions?

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: special anniversary dinner downtown?

There are more than 40 restaurants in the town of Napa alone-- and that doesn't even count all of the great places nearby! So it's hard to recommend just one or two . . .

A few questions we typically ask our guests:

-What's important to you?

-Walking distance?

-Atmosphere?

-Type of food?

-Multi-course menu?

-Lots of menu choices? Or quality of food more impt?

-Service?

-Michelin Guide rated?

(we feel a bit sheepish asking you all of this, as our colleagues at AVIA may not be happy with us 'budding in'-- have you called and spoken to the concierge over there? We've heard lots of good things about them! :)

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
283 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: special anniversary dinner downtown?

oh my i didnt realize i shouldve been more specific. as for concierges i like to do my own research its more fun that way ;)

quality of food is definitly important and since its our anniversary atmosphere and ambience would be nice. i guess im looking for a little more upscale since its a special night.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: special anniversary dinner downtown?

jshien-

No worries. We just have to be careful-- we love to help people, but we've been called on the carpet more than once by a perturbed innkeeper or concierge for "butting in where we don't belong". :(

Since you've just written that you won't be asking them (even though we recommended it), we'll be happy to suggest a few of our favorites:

-La Toque (in the Westin)-- Ken Frank moved this award-winning restaurant down from Rutherford just a few months ago. Call ahead and find out when Peter Downing (the server) is working. He is fabulous-- opened Per Se (NY) for Thomas Keller, and was our favorite waiter at Ad Hoc. He really makes a meal! (walking distance)

-REDD-- great wine/food pairings. Hint: If you both order the tasting menu, they'll often give each of you different courses (and wine pairings). If you don't mind sharing (hey, we think it's romantic!), you wind up w/a 7+ course meal, with wine pairings, for much less than the French Laundry, (driving distance, hostess can be a bit snooty, but servers tend to be OK). We go there every few months, and have noticed that some regulars are treated like royalty-- great for the regulars, not so good for everyone else)).

-Mustard's Grill-- Cindy Pawlcyn's world famous "Truck Stop De-luxe". Not a quiet, romantic atmosphere-- but the food is amazing. The calamari is world class (served w/a curry slaw), and the Mongolian Pork Chops w/garlic mashed and sweet/sour red cabbage . . . Yuummm! :)

-Ristorante Allegria-- Beautiful Italian restaurant in the heart of Downtown Napa (walking distance). If your concierge makes the reservations (hint, hint), you may get something special. ;)

-Ad Hoc -- Not romantic, but Thomas Keller food-- served family style! Read the reviews on this before going-- you'll either love it or hate it (we love it!).

-Ubuntu-- Vegetarian for non-vegetarians. NY Times food critics named it one of their top 3 new restaurants in the entire US (walking distance).

There's a quick overview. Bottega (Micheal Chiarello's new place in Yountville) may join the ranks of our faves soon-- but it's not there yet (they only opened a few months ago).

Hope this helps! :)

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Level Contributor
34,207 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: special anniversary dinner downtown?

We have been to both REDD and Bottega, either one of these would be perfect for a celebratory meal. REDD is a little more upscale, you may also want to consider TERRA in St. Helena for a special meal. Have fun! :)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: special anniversary dinner downtown?

We just got back from our trip yesterday. I second the recommendation of La Toque - it was our favorite restaurant from our trip. Lovely dining room, excellent food, great wine pairings, and great service. The wine pairing was a highlight - with the well-known sommelier presenting the bottles at your table, and explaining why each one was chosen to go with your dish. We loved this restaurant, and highly recommend it.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
283 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: special anniversary dinner downtown?

thanks for all the recommendations innkeeper.

la toque seems to be a favorite of all. we will have to look into that =) although ive always loved michael chiarellis shows, he always makes entertaining with great food seem so easy.

Napa
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: special anniversary dinner downtown?

I would go with La Toque for your anniversary dinner. More intimate and quiet.

Bottega would be great for lunch - or a different dinner - very noisy place - fun atmosphere.

Congrats!

8. Re: special anniversary dinner downtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2010, 05:18