We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appointments for wine tastings?

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
122 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Appointments for wine tastings?

It's been a few years since we've been in Napa Valley and will return at the end of November... Do you need an appointment for tastings or just for a full tour?

Which of the wineries closest to Healdsburg (will be based there) are worthwhile? Other than the great wines, which have interesting architecture? (I remember Hess as having a wonderful art gallery)

Thanks for the input.

Atlanta, GA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appointments for wine tastings?

Just returned from Napa. Had a wonderful time. Hess does have a wonderful art gallery - although we didn't make it over there. Most wineries do not require appointments for tastings, tours yes. More exclusive wineries, which are more fun in my opinion, do require appointments and reservations. The Wine Seminar at Merryvale is very worth while - we just did a barrel tasting as part of that. Jarvis has the largest cave in the area and we really wanted to go - but didn't have a reservation. There is a local magazine that all the hotels have that list ALL the wineries and whether they do tours, tastings, etc and the phone number. Try to get one from your hotel - and about 2 weeks before you go, make some reservations/appointments at the wineries. You can see up to 4 wineries a day if you are really gung-ho.

I would skip dinner at the new restaurant called Press. Lovely atmosphere, but fireplace in the restaurant made it smokey and the service was average for the prices.

Hope this helps!