We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for trip next week

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions for trip next week

My wife and I are planning a trip next week and I would love input on our proposed itinerary and suggestions for other wineries or restaurants that we have listed. Admittedly one can get overwhelmed with all the choices of both in this area. It is my wife’s first time to Napa and I am trying to get a bit of everything in the short time we have

Sunday:

Get to Napa from San Jose at about noon. Check in at hotel, then Mondovi tour at 2. From here we have a massage/mud-bath at Lavender Hills Spa in Calistoga. If time permits plan on stopping at Franks Family Winery on way up from Mondovi. Dinner is at Tra Vigne that night because I have fond memories of it but that was from a long time ago and recent posts have me rethinking this for Martini House, Redd, Botegga etc… Thoughts?

Monday:

V. Sattui (open early and on way up to Spring Mountain area), Domain Charbay, Terra Valentine, Franciscan, and 3:00 tour at Del D(B)lotto. Dinner at Rutherford Grill.

Tuesday:

Rubicon, before we head back to San Jose to catch flight home.

Any suggestions/revisions would be appreciated.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,528 posts
5,276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for trip next week

Sounds wonderful....

We are not Tra Vigne fans - but if you're enjoyed it in the past - it may be special for you. Just so you know if you enjoyed it when Michael Chiarrello was there, he has left that restaurant. He now has a new restaurant called Bottega.

http://www.botteganapavalley.com/

Its gotten really great reviews. So if your memories of Tra Vigne are the food, you might want to see if you can change to this restaurant. If its the restaurant itself, go for it. (note: Since Michael left, the restaurant has gotten very mixed rerviews - and is not on The list to go to.). However, I go back to my favorite places in LA when I am there - and they are not on The hot list either - just because they bring back special memories.

The rest of your trip sounds great. Have a good time.

Napa
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for trip next week

I would have dinner at Cook in St. Helena- very small hole in the wall - really good food!

(BTW- Bottega, like Tra Vigne, also gets mixed reviews)

Northern California
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for trip next week

Like Mini I haven't had the greatest of experiences at Tra Vigne, Martini House is always great, and I've heard fantastic things about Redd.

If you're open to eating that far down south, I'd also recommend Brix, which has become one of our favorites in the valley (we're having our rehearsal dinner there). Gorgeous atmosphere and some of the best food we've had in NV.

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for trip next week

I would go to Bottega, we had a very positive experience there this past March. :)

5. Re: Suggestions for trip next week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2010, 05:16