We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Potential Bike Routes

Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Potential Bike Routes

First, I apologize if there are already posts on this- I did a forum search and could not find much useful information.

I am renting a house on First St in Napa with my husband and another couple and ideally we'd like to bike to some vineyards. I did some research and saw that the Madonna Estate vineyard is "somewhat" nearby. When I enter the addresses in Mapquest, it gives me an estimated 30 min bike ride to get there. Does this sound accurate? Is it worth biking from Napa to the Carneros region and visiting these vineyards, or is it better to drive up to Yountville and then bike to vineyards up there?

I've heard great things about Carneros, but since I have never been it is hard to plan! Plus, though we are in our late 20s and avid runners, I haven't been on a bike in years! Is this route bike-able? Can't always trust mapquest...

(also, any suggestions of where to rent a bike from that is near the house?)

Thanks so much in advance!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,740 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Potential Bike Routes

Try contacting the Napa Valley Visirot's Bureau. This website has 'bike tours; listed on the left side of the screen.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Potential Bike Routes

We usually defer to the bike rental companies, since they are so much more on top of road conditions (Napa does a LOT of road work and closures this time of year-- which can make a big difference when you're on a bike).

We'd probably do the following:

-First St to Jefferson, turn left (south)

-Jefferson to Old Sonoma Rd, turn right (west)

-Take Old Sonoma Rd out to the Carneros. Stay on Old Sonoma Road, and visit places like Folio and Artesa. Hwy 12/121 (the main route through the Carneros) is WAY too busy/dangerous for bikes.

Other options include Big Ranch Road, and the bike trail alongside the Wine Train tracks, to Solano Rd (north), up to Yountville/Domaine Chandon/Laird/the town of Yountville.

Hope this helps. :)

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Potential Bike Routes

Thanks for the advice! Not sure if biking will really be the best option now... guess we will figure it out. Thanks again!

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Potential Bike Routes

Hi. I just came across your post and ironically was looking at one of those pamphlets from the area earlier in the day which contains an article called "Two wheeling wine country". There is a website: www.winetravel.com as well.

In the article, the following are mentioned as Napa(area) based cycling shops that offer tours of some type: Calistoga Bikeshop -1318 Lincoln Ave, Calistoga; Napa Valley Bike Tours- 6488 Washington St., Yountville. The others mentioned are in Sonoma County.

I just have the one edition of this publication, so I don't know if this is a regularly occurring article or not, but it may help you some. there is a suggested bike route in Napa, but I don't know if it will fit with your location.

San Diego...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Potential Bike Routes

There are some bike routes on http://www.changeofgreenery.com/partners.htm in regards to Carneros/Madonna Estates. Rent the bikes at Napa Valley Marriott.

6. Re: Potential Bike Routes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2010, 05:16