We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girl & Fig

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
LA
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Girl & Fig

Hi all

Staying at Westin Napa... REALLY want to do dinner on a Sat night at Girl & Fig. Everyone in my group is saying it is too far for half an hour away and likehlihoods of traffic would be a hassle.

What is everyone's opinion on this?

Any other suggestions near the Westin hotel would be great. Was hoping for country french or good seafood. Nice dining but not michelin star type....

TIA

Napa
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girl & Fig

It's not very far, but after wine tasting all day and then drinking at dinner, it may seem like it as you go through some country roads.

Near the Westin, other then La Toque - try Angeles at the Napa Mill.

The other French places are in Yountville (Bistro Jeanty,Bouchon), around the same distance as Sonoma from your hotel.

Level Contributor
34,460 posts
889 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girl & Fig

If you really have your heart set on girl and the fig, I would go,it's a lovely venue with very good food and wine. Bistro Jeany previously mentioned as also very nice, quaint ambiance with excellent food and service. I hope you enjoy your time in the wine country! :)

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girl & Fig

We'll second (third?) Bistro Jeanty and Girl & the Fig, in that order.

G&F is creative, but Bistro Jeanty is amazing.

Also, don't shortchange La Toque-- Ken Frank's cooking is spectacular-- but it's a bit pricey (the great part is, you get to walk back to your room afterwards! :)

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

PS Depending on when you're here, Iron Chef Morimoto's new Napa restaurant may be open (and we're just guessing, but it should have *amazing* seafood!)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,711 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girl & Fig

From Napa to Sonoma, for the Girl and the Fig is, yes, 20-30 minutes away...depends on where in the Napa Valley you are starting from.

This is all country road. Can't imagine why anybody said there would be traffic !!

It is 12 miles from the town of Napa to the town of Sonoma. Either get on Old Sonoma Highway to Hwy 12, or go south on Hwy 29 to Hwy 12 and follow it into Sonoma.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girl & Fig

If you're the sole proponent in your group for driving to Sonoma to dine at girl and the fig--I would relent. I've found that when people aren't happy with a choice up front, they usually wind up not being happy with the actual experience. Not a good thing when traveling with others. Also, there are just so many excellent restaurants in Napa Valley, "when in Napa, dine in Napa"! Go to either Bistro Jeanty or Bouchon (my favorite). Save girl and the fig for your Sonoma Valley stay when you'll presumably be making all the choices. (BTW, I say this even tho' I just dined there today and had a superb meal).

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girl & Fig

Hey Puter-

There is a LOT of construction going on by diRosa Preserve (for about a mile) on the Domaine Carneros side-- road is all blocked off, w/ big time back-ups.

There is also at least one more traffic light installed than a year ago (might be 2-- we can't remember). So everything is going sloooooooower right now. ;)

Add to that this is the main road back to SF from Napa Valley, and you can get some pretty gnarly back ups these days-- ESP on weekends/Saturday nights when all the "day trippers" are heading back home after the wineries close.

Lots of great advice all around, gogina-- esp the one about if you're the only one that wants to go to the G&F. Any chance you can talk them into touring some Carneros wineries (like Artesa, Domaine Carneros, Bouchaine, Nicholson Ranch, etc)? Or if there are any cheese fans, the Sonoma Cheese Factory is just a half block away from the G&F (their liquid jack is *insane*!).

Still, eating at Phillipe Jeanty's bistro-- the tomato soup w/puff pastry, the coq au vin, the beef stew (unbelievable)-- this is, after all, the man who put Domain Chandon's restaurant on the map back in the day (PJ was the first exec chef at Domaine Chandon). Not for everyone-- but if you truly dig country french-- this is the real deal.

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

PS If you're in the mood for some incredible southern Italian, Napa's Oenotri is world-class (just opened). A few reviews:

…oldworldinn.com/2010/05/oenotri-italian-wit…

…sfgate.com/2010-05-30/food/21649684_1_chron…

LA
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girl & Fig

Thank you everyone for your input! I am so thrilled with the responses. yes, i will set aside G&F for a later trip. Thank you SO Much for the traffic input. We've already been to Carneros. I'm booking Bistro Jeanty this week in opentable the website and menu looks great!!!

8. Re: Girl & Fig

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2010, 06:24