We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help for 2 fun couples going to Napa

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary help for 2 fun couples going to Napa

Ok, well let me first admit that normally I would scour TripAdvisor FIRST before I ever posted ANYTHING, but in this case, the kids and jobs have been a major factor in my research this time around in Napa. :)

My husband and I have been a few times and we are joined in October, 24-27th, with another couple that we're so excited to share Napa with! It's their first time, but there is so much to see/do that I'd like some advice. We're staying in Yountville (Napa Valley Lodge) and would like to start our trip with our newbies with a wine making 101 type of winery. Our first trip was with Mondavi and we LOVED the 101 education they gave us, but want to experience something new. Again, I haven't been researching but...will the wineries be harvesting at the end of October? We would love a first stop in education at a big winery that is harvesting if possible?

Our previous trips we went to a big, middle of the road and small winery each day and would love to complete that same list again. Suggestions would be most appreciated and helpful. Would love to see Rubissow-Sargent's because we missed it on the last trip. Has anyone been there? Another off the beaten path would be most appreciated!

Our last few trips that I can remember we went to: Martini, Cakebread, Plumpjack, Anomale, Schramsberg, V.Sattui, Joseph Phelps, Silver Oak (although it was a trailor), and Rubicon

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help for 2 fun couples going to Napa

Mondavi still has the best overall technical tour in the Valley, bar none. There are lots of other places w/great tours-- but all of the other wineries tell you how *they* make wine. Mondavi shows you how wine is made (so what you learn there can be applied to most any winery you visit).

You could also tour a sparkling winery-- Schramsberg, Mumm, and Domaine Chandon have tours (we ranked them in order of preference, Schramsberg being our fave tour).

Del Dotto also gives an awesome tour w/barrel tasting-- a wonderful way to END the day (get the latest appt you can). They pour LOTS of wine, and even if you spit (you should), you'll still get a bit loopy.

We're really not sure about your winery list-- these are places you've been to before and do NOT want to re-visit? Sometimes it's fun to go back to your favorites-- at least 1 or 2. Sharing the experience w/friends makes it all the more fun!

Harvest will be in full swing when you get here-- but we can never predict who will be crushing on a particular day. Just look for the "Crushing Today" signs- and pull in!!

Last, and most important-- call your innkeepers and ask for their suggestions. Each of us has special relationships with wineries, and can help arrange for memorable visits and tastings for you-- and these services are included FREE (built into the cost of your room rate), so it's a must-do!

So don't worry about your work/kid commitments-- let your innkeepers make your life easier. Give thmem a call, tell them what you want, and they'll be happy to do everything for you: They'll make suggestions for wine tasting, tours, and dinner, call in advance reservations for you where they are needed, and (perhaps most important)-- get maps together to show you how to get *around* the tasting room lines and traffic (something Sat Nav and google maps still can't do!). And they'll even give you complimentary tasting passes to some of the wineries. Can't beat that!

We hope you have a wonderful time in the Napa Valley. It's a very special place. :)

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Edited: 28 September 2010, 16:29
Columbus
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help for 2 fun couples going to Napa

Thanks you so much for all your suggestions! It was a HUGE help. Yes, I was indicating that I wanted to do something different this time around. We did Mondavi & Schramsberg on my first visit (Schramsberg was amazing), but I WAS thinking since there are so many places to see/visit that we could try something new this time around. I'm going to think it over and in the meantime, call our hotel for their suggestions.

thanks again!

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help for 2 fun couples going to Napa

Would also suggest that you return to Silver Oak now that their facility is finished. We also tasted in the trailers....I think you'll like the new place.

Napa
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help for 2 fun couples going to Napa

O'Brien does a tour with every tasting. Paradigm does a vineyard tour with their tasting if you like reds. I'm with OWI, can't beat Mondavi- maybe this time do the twilight tour so it's a little different for you. Mumm does a free tour at 10 am daily. White Rock does a great vineyard to cave tour, very rustic, good wines.

Have fun!

5. Re: Itinerary help for 2 fun couples going to Napa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2011, 05:21