We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is there a better day to check out sonoma valley?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
is there a better day to check out sonoma valley?

we will be arriving next saturday and leaving the following thursday. we will be staying in St Helena and are thinking about spending one day in sonoma since this is our second trip to Napa and didn't see any of sonoma last visit. Didn't know if driving there on Sunday would be a good idea since i'm sure with the time difference we will be up early, or if i should wait to go on monday or tuesday. I didn't know if the traffic would be better one day or the other. Of course the other suggestion would be to stop along the way from San Francisco Saturday, but that would be only half day at most by the time we arrive.

Napa
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is there a better day to check out sonoma valley?

I think a week day would be less traffic, especially since we're in the middle of crush- the weekends tend to get very crowded in both valleys.

Have fun!

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is there a better day to check out sonoma valley?

Having just returned from a weekend in Sonoma county, I would agree with Segway. To be honest, the weekends will be busy regardless of where you are going because of the harvest activities, but if you have only one day I would certainly capitalize on the potential for smaller crowds on a weekday.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is there a better day to check out sonoma valley?

thanks for the responses- i will plan on going during a weekday! Counting down the days till our trip!

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is there a better day to check out sonoma valley?

PhillyFeet-

During harvest, traffic around here is a bit crazy. It's almost an hour's drive from St Helena to the town of Sonoma (down Hwy29, then over on 12/121).

Depending on which wineries you want to visit (Sonoma County is a big, big place), you may want to drive from St Helena up to Healdsburg (45 min) or even the Russian River wineries (about an hour or so).

Cheers! :)

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Edited: 08 October 2010, 04:21
New Jersey
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is there a better day to check out sonoma valley?

OWI- i have to admit, i was thinking about visiting healdsburg or russion river valley instead of downtown Sonoma.

Then yesterday, I sat down with my napa map and started to seriously think about what I want to see and what I missed last trip. There are so many places to visit and tours / seminars that I may want to do in Napa ( and I want to have time to be a little spontaneous too.) So I thought, "well, if i really want to see Sonoma, we may just have to take another trip in the future!!"

Edited: 08 October 2010, 20:13
Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is there a better day to check out sonoma valley?

Good call-- you will never find a more fun time to "do" the Napa Valley than at harvest time!

(and Sonoma has soooo much to offer, a dedicated trip is very much recommended)

This way, you'll spend less time driving, and more time tasting/exploring!!

Cheers! :)

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

7. Re: is there a better day to check out sonoma valley?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2011, 06:16