We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in Area-and Wine Train Worth it??

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
65 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants in Area-and Wine Train Worth it??

Staying in Napa - should we do the wine train -is it worth it for lunch?

Also, can you recommend a couple of good restaurants-

lunch and dinner- upscale ones and reasonable ones

is bouchon worth it?

Napa
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in Area-and Wine Train Worth it??

that latest craze in Napa is Dim Sum Charlie's - a shiney Airstream in the Oxbow district. Picnic tables, BYOB, heat lamps if you need them, which if course tonight we did not :) The good part- it's REALLY good :)

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,177 posts
5,167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in Area-and Wine Train Worth it??

4 other great Napa restaurants are:

Ubuntu

http://www.ubuntunapa.com/

Celadon

http://www.celadonnapa.com/

Morimotos (recently opened and quite good)

http://www.morimotorestaurant.com/

Cole's Chop House

http://www.yelp.com/biz/coles-chop-house-napa

Bouchon is good - on the average range for the list of fine Napa Valley restaurants (i.e. there are so many great restaurants that average is still quite good. Its just that with the french laundry, celebrity chef restaurants (example - Bottega, Morimoto, etc.), etc. - its one of many great places to eat.

Oxbow Market is a reasonable place to go for lots of good lunch food - my favorite is the white bean taco for $3.50.

Oh - so many great places, so little time.....yummy!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,177 posts
5,167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants in Area-and Wine Train Worth it??

By the way many people like the wine train and the experience....most locals tend to not go on the wine train and go straight to the excellent restaurants in the area.

If you like wine train type of experience, they do a good job. Its a bit more touristy feeling.....but can make for a fun lunch or evening.

Is it a must - No. Is it enjoyable - Yes.

And if you get a kick out of finding strange ideas for federal stimulous money, Napa valley wine train got some stimulous money for infrastructure.

Go figure!

Edited: 14 October 2010, 06:38
Houston
Level Contributor
217 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants in Area-and Wine Train Worth it??

We had lunch on the wine train a few years ago and enjoyed it very much. It is a touristy thing to do, but I'm an enthusiastic tourist and had never been on a train before, so we tried and and had a ball. The food was delicious and the setting charming. That was probably our second trip to Napa Valley. Since then the price may have gone up, but I don't remember thinking that it was outrageous - after all, it was a delightful lunch and the entertainment factor of being on a train. Worked for us! ;)

Level Contributor
34,520 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants in Area-and Wine Train Worth it??

Bottega and REDD in Yountville are both very nice places for lunch or dinner. We also love Bistro Jeanty in Yountville, a cozy little French bistro with excellent food and service. :)

Edited: 14 October 2010, 18:31
Napa, CA
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants in Area-and Wine Train Worth it??

Mini,

I just want to set the record straight. The Napa Valley Wine Train did NOT receive any stimulus money. If you want the scoop, here's a great page with all the back story: winetrain.com/answers

Of course, I am terribly prejudiced and love the Wine Train (I work here). It is a great restaurant, but more than that, it is an authentic piece of American history. I hope you are able to take a journey with us.

ML

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants in Area-and Wine Train Worth it??

Its really hard to answer someone who asks "Is it worth it?" because that's such a subjective question. There was a lengthy and somewhat vehement thread on here not that long ago about the train and there was some outrage at the cost by some folks and some ready acceptance by others.

There are several articles about it that I have read- one was in Parade magazine ( the one that comes in the Sunday paper) , one was in Sunset Magazine and there was another in one of the wine-related publications but now I've forgotten which, sorry, and then some of the travel books by the likes of Fodor's, etc mention it as well.

Only you can decide if its worth it for you....its not an inexpensive venture, but it sounds like it could be a lot of fun, especially on a lovely fall or spring day.

If you do try it, I hope you will write back about your experience.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants in Area-and Wine Train Worth it??

I have not been on the wine train.

But I think there is a misconception out there among some people that it stops at wineries. It does not.

It serves a meal and you get the train experience and a ride up and down the Napa valley.

I would check into the cost of the meal and the ride and then decide whether it is "worth it" to you, or not.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants in Area-and Wine Train Worth it??

Puter makes a good point, and this was part of the irritation on the past thread. Its really important that you research the train and fully understand what you are signing up for. I suspect that if we ask nicely our friend from the Wine Train will step in for a little clarification about how the wine train works. How 'bout it, ML?? :)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants in Area-and Wine Train Worth it??

They have been having some cute radio ads lately on a San Francisco station with the chef of the train and a cohort talking about the food.