We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with planning

WA
Level Contributor
141 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
help with planning

We are coming on a Friday and going to a conference in SF the following Wednesday. Looking for suggestions for the Napa/Sonoma area including the coast. Is it better to fly info SFO or OAK. Any Hilton properties recommended? This is our first trip and we want to see the prettiest wineries and gardens, don't have any exact wines in mind. We'd like to go either to Bodega Bay or Point Reyes Lighthouse. Thanks!

Napa
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with planning

The Hiltons in the Wine Country would be the Hilton Garden Inn or Embassy Suites in Napa. There is also a Hilton in Santa Rosa which is close to the Dry Creek, Russian River and Alexander Valley wineries of Sonoma. In Rohnert Park there is a Doubletree, but not really wine country.

I prefer OAK over SFO - however, I go where the best deal is :)

Point Reyes is beautiful - you can stop and get some oysters :) It is a very long road.

I think Bodega Bay has more to offer, that's just my opinion though.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,409 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with planning

When are you coming? Pt Reyes lighthouse is closed on Tuesday and Wednesday. Weekends in winter can be very crowded with whale watchers - the NPS runs a shuttle bus then. Monday would be your best day but it really depends on the weather. No reason to drive out there if its rainy or foggy.

WA
Level Contributor
141 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with planning

We're actually coming next September. Thinking of flying into Oakland and staying near the airport Friday night. Getting up early and driving Sat am to the Santa Rosa area. Looking to visit wineries for the architecture and gardens as well as wines. (St Jeans, Ledson, Ferrari-Caramo). Looking at Hilton Garden Inn Sonoma Airport for Sat and Sun night. Going to look for something in Napa Monday and Tues night. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Level Contributor
35,226 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with planning

What is your budget for lodging? If you are still considering a stay in Bodega Bay, The Bodega Bay Lodge & Spa is a beautiful property. In Yountville there is The Yountville Inn, Villaigo Inn & Spa and Bardessono. While in the Santa Rosa area, check out Matanzas Creek for a pleasant winery experience. Have fun! :)

WA
Level Contributor
141 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with planning

We thought about just going to Bodega Bay for a half day trip. Would really like to go to Pt Reyes, but just unsure how long it would take to drive there or the best route. I'm sure the prices are lower on weekdays, so we're looking to stay at a little nicer place Mon and Tuesday night ($250)

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with planning

Oh, then you have lots of time. The only "thing" I can think of for the Sonoma Hiton Garden Inn is that there isn't much nearby of interest, though the airport restaurant is surprisingly good. For a similar budget and style of place, you might want to consider the Marriott Courtyard that is located across the street from Railroad Square. They offer a nice breakfast, too.

I realize that its not the Hilton brand, but if you can manage it I think you would be happier; not only is it convenient for getting to the hwy but Railroad Square offers a lot of fun eating establishments and shopping venues as well. Since you have some time, perhaps you can watch for special rates/deals that come up periodically. Since you have a keen interest in the architecture and gardens, I would highly recommend that you do a' forum search' on both those topics as last year there were a couple of folks who had the same interests and there was good feed back on those threads.

Edited: 12 November 2010, 22:10
Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with planning

Sept is prime time (harvest), so it's really smart to lock in your reservations now-- all of the value-priced rooms are typically gone by end of January at most places (those who book later never know-- ironic, eh?)

Are you just interested in winery architecture? The town of Napa has more pre-1906 houses than any other town in Northern California (we also have several architectural walking tours).

Also, check into Quixote winery if you want to see some wild architecture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quixote_Winery

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,826 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with planning

If you're on a strict budget, then Hilton Garden Inn would be fine to stay at--but since it's in a commercial business park (a nice one), you won't have any "wine country" ambiance. You can certainly make up for that by your day visits to wineries. For gardens and architecture, I would recommend Kendall-Jackson Wine Ctr. (Fulton--close to where you'd be staying), Ferrari-Carano Winery (Dry Creek Valley) and C. Donatiello (Russian River Valley). In Sonoma Valley, you've chosen 2 scenic wineries, Ledson and Chateau St. Jean.

Canton, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help with planning

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn this past Halloween weekend. The start of our week in CA. Loved the hotel and the staff. Gloria and Andrea were wonderful and very helpful. The guests are very nice also. The location is great and if you want a winery with a view and great wine try Russian Hill Winery. If you have enough time to order if not you may find a guide that will be a great help!! It's called the "Preiser Key" Its really more for the Napa area, however you can call Monty who does this publication and he can give you wonderful wineries to vist!

WA
Level Contributor
141 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help with planning

Thanks! We're also looking at the Petaluma area for Friday night. Looking at the Sheraton. Also spotted the Gables Wine Country Inn. I've book a Monday and Tuesday night at the Hilton Garden Inn Napa. Thoughts on this?