We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Tie Taxi in Napa is highly recommended

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Black Tie Taxi in Napa is highly recommended

Hi All,

Can't find a place on TA to write an official review so I am adding a forum post so it is searchable. We stayed a few miles outside the downtown Napa area and used a taxi service because we thought it was the safe and convenient thing to do. The taxis were always prompt and the drivers were extremely friendly and personable (compared to taxis in the northeast we were blown away!). They introduced themselves and provided us with their business cards so we could call them for a ride home at the end of the vening. While we were told we might have to wait ~20 minutes for pickup, they were usually there in about 5-10min. The vehicles were nice, clean and spacious. Their drivers go by number, so make sure you ask yours for their number if you want to request them at a later time. As for price - it was a very reasonable ~$12 w/tip each way for about a 10min drive.

I apologize in advance if this is inappropriate for the forums. Just thought this feedback may be helpful to some. Thanks to the frequent contributors for all their useful tips.

Napa
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Tie Taxi in Napa is highly recommended

I saw a lot of Black Ties last night picking up at Mustards- they have a nice SUV too now. They got out of the cab to open doors for the clients, I was impressed. I think they have stepped it up! Glad you had a good experience.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Tie Taxi in Napa is highly recommended

Good to hear you had a good experience w/them.

Others have not:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/black-tie-taxi-napa

Black Tie was, for years, our "go to" cab company. We used them all the time.

This year, we've had a number of guests who have complained about one thing or another. We've chalked it up to them being over their heads busy.

In our book, it's better to say "no" then promise something you can't deliver.

We're going to be using them-- cautiously-- once slow season starts in a few weeks.

We've got our fingers crossed. Let's hope they've turned things around.

Cheers,

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black Tie Taxi in Napa is highly recommended

The hotel called us this taxi cab and what a rip off. We were charged $50 to go 5.6 miles into downtown Napa. He didn't even turn on the meter. On the way back we made sure we asked the taxi cab driver first what the charge was because apparently once you get into the cab you have a verbal contract so they can charge whatever they want.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black Tie Taxi in Napa is highly recommended

But, Foodgrly you say you are from Napa, and this is your first post.

Where were you going from your home in Napa and back?

If your home is in Napa why were you staying in a hotel?

Smells fishy.

More information would make your complaint more credible.

Edited: 19 October 2012, 06:06
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black Tie Taxi in Napa is highly recommended

i don't believe the OP lives in Napa. Where did you pick up that Puter?

However, it's best to make these complaints in the review section and not on the forums.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Black Tie Taxi in Napa is highly recommended

Used this company for an early 5 am pick up and the driver was there at 5 am, he was friendly and professional despite us being his last pick up before he ended his 12 hour shift. I had read previous bad reviews and was concerned, but was terribly happy that everything was perfect. Thank you

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Black Tie Taxi in Napa is highly recommended

Hit and Miss

The taxi service itself was actually OK but since you've only basically got 2 taxi co's in Napa, it's pretty much collusion on price. It cost $18 from Andaz Hotel in Napa to Darioush Wine. Then $25 from Darioush Winery to Yountville and then they charged us $35 when we called the taxi to pick us up in Yountville and drive us 2 miles to Opus One. We called the dispatcher and he claimed that this was the fare, but same driver didn't use a meter on Yountville and Opus One trips so we felt that it was a scam, though driver claimed that the charge for the $35-5min ride to Opus One was so high because he was dispatched from Napa. On last trip back from Andaz to SFO, driver was polite and got us there in less than 1 1/2 hours as he avoided busy traffic. So it's really hit and miss and I would avoid them if they weren't only game in town because I felt we got gouged on Darioush-Yountville and Yountville-Opus One legs.

Edited: 25 September 2013, 07:27
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Black Tie Taxi in Napa is highly recommended

RROW

What the driver told you is true. If you call a Napa cab company, they have to send the driver to Yountville from Napa and then take you to Opus. The driver will be occupied with your fare for probably 40 or 45 minutes. I don't see how they can make any money by just charging $35. By the way, you could have taken a local bus from Yountville to Opus for $1.50 per person.

Also, if you are concerned with high fares, why did you use a cab to go to the airport when there is a much more reasonable alternative with the local airporter service, Evans Transportation?

St. Helena...
Destination Expert
for Napa Valley
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Black Tie Taxi in Napa is highly recommended

Hi folks - this thread is TWO YEARS OLD.

Had you done a thorough review of the Napa Valley forums and the transportation options here, you would have known that relying on taxi service to get around the valley is not a good idea (relatively unreliable & expensive, compared to urban or suburban taxi service).

This is not New York City or Tokyo ... it's rural northern California, and you need to re-set your expectations.

Please post your reviews in Yelp or Google as there is no Black Tie Taxi business posting on TA (that I could find). It's only fair that before you slam any business on social media, ask yourself if your expectations were realistic.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Black Tie Taxi in Napa is highly recommended

The Evans service from SFO to Napa was very good but the return leg ( one bus every 2 hours) back didn't give us enough breathing room for our return flight so we had to catch a cab from Black Tie for $175, which was reasonable given the distance and we tipped the driver fairly to show our appreciation for his safe driving and avoiding a blocked part of the highway. I have no intention to trash anyone and thank you all for pointing out any inaccuracies and misunderstandings in my comments.

Normally we would rent a car but since our trip was expressly for wine tasting, and I didn't want to drive even if one or two glasses every 2 or 3 hours was legal, so we had no choice but to rent a cab.