We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Napa Valley, Days 1 & 2

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hixson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
238 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Napa Valley, Days 1 & 2

Day 1 - Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Our arrival day in the valley of wine. We began our day in Tennessee at 3:15 AM when the alarm went off signaling the beginning of another trip to Wine Country. The plane left Chattanooga about 6:00 AM headed for Atlanta where we would get our connection to Sacramento. We landed about 10:30 AM and picked up our luggage and rental car and hit on the road about 11:30. In a hurry to get to Napa Valley.

Our first and only appointment for the day was in St. Helena at 2:30 PM. Arriving in the Valley a little early, we made an unscheduled stop at Hope & Grace in Yountville. Those of you who are looking for Pinot, you could not do much better than tasting the two releases here. I am a cab and zin person, always have been, always will be, but the 08 Doctor’s Vineyard Santa Lucia combines fruit and body, and at $46 was considered a very good buy. But wait, their 08 Hendricks Doctor’s Vineyard was a cut above with berries that cling to your palate with a long lingering finish. At $75, I doubt you could find a much better Pino in the Valley. Then on to our favorite, the cabs. We tasted 2, the 2007 and 2008 Lewelling, St. Helena. The 07 was filled with fruit and a long lingering finish. The 08 has not been released yet and really needed some time to develop in the bottle. Open it in a couple years and let it decant, and you will probably have an incredible cab. The 07, at $58, followed us home. Matthew Beverly was our host and led us through their offerings. He was knowledgeable and fun making for a great experience.

Now, let me digress for a moment. I can remember when we started drinking wine back in the 60s and at maybe $7 per bottle, Mateus was our favorite. As our palates have changed and our tastes have become more sophisticated (I can’t believe I said that), our outlay per bottle has steadily risen. I can remember a time when I would not think of paying $50 for a bottle of wine . . . then it was $75 . . . then more! I used to balk at paying high end prices but I can tell you first hand, there is a difference, and you can taste it.

Then on to St. Helena to our appointment at Salon St. Helena. This is a new tasting room featuring the wines of Harris Estate Vineyards and Jones Family Vineyards, both having Thomas Rivers Brown as winemaker. I first tasted TRB made wines when I purchased an 07 Harris Lakeview vineyard cab from the winery. All I can say is, “It was incredible”. I became an instant fan and selected five wineries on this trip with TRB as winemaker. By the way, he was named Winemaker of the Year in 2010 and has had more 100 point wines than any other winemaker. The first wine we tasted was the Harris 08 Indulgence cab. Lots of fruit, smooth and balanced, incredible nose. The second was the 07 Jake’s Creek vineyard cab. Bold, smooth with lots of fruit. The next was the Jones 08 “The Sisters” cab. Very fruit forward with a very nice finish. And the last was the Jones Estate cab. We were told that this was more in the French style, more earth with not as much fruit, a little softer. We enjoyed all of these wines and even thought they were on the high end, bottles of each followed us home. Asa Baird was our host and he made the experience enjoyable. I gave all these wines a WOW, and am looking forward to tasting more of Thomas Rivers Brown magic. The fee was a little steep at $35, but knowing the wine, it was definitely worth it. When I mentioned to Asa that I had ordered from Harris before, he waived the fee.

Day 2 - Wednesday, October 26

The day began a little on the crisp side, but the sun was out and we knew it was going to be a fabulous day. Because we are tasting so many wines, I will only write about the ones we brought home with us.

Our first stop was at Paradigm (pronounced pear-a-dime) winery in Oakville. This is another of those smaller family wineries. First up was the 08 Oakville Merlot. Normally, I am not a Merlot drinker, but this one stood out. The nose was incredible and the wine had a very nice body for a Merlot with a nice smooth finish. I would say more of a Cab drinkers Merlot. Then we tasted the 07 Oakville Cab which was made up of 90% Cab, 7% Merlot, and 2% Cab Franc. A great fruit forward body full of flavor, power and elegance. Heidy Peterson Barrett is the winemaker here. We had a nice tour and we were able to watch some of the crush. The tour and tasting were hosted by Jennifer Harris-Jakoby, daughter of the owner.

Our next stop was at Keever Winery near Yountville. Another small family owned winery, so small that we had a hard time finding it. Guess we should have had Shirley, our GPS with us. She would have gone crazy at the number of times we went past the street to turn on. Those of you who have been in this area will recognize the California Soldiers Home (may not be the correct name). Well, you go up the road toward it, come to a privacy gate, go through it, and go clear up on the hill overlooking the valley below around Yountville. By the way, when we were back down in the valley, we could look up and see the house. We purchased the 2008 Cab which had intense aromas and 100% Cab. Full bodied with a nice smooth finish. Olga Keever gave us the tour and led the tasting. Their tasting and tour fee was $35.00 . . . a little steep and with the price of the bottle of wine, I wouldn’t wouldn't do it again

After our lunch at Pacific Blues, we traveled up Deer Park Road and Howell Mountain to about 1100 ft. to taste at Bremer Family Winery. Our first purchase was the 05 Howell Mountain Merlot . . . yes, another merlot of powerful body with lots of fruit and great finish. I am beginning to enjoy Merlot that has a good body, a “Cab Drinkers Merlot”. The second purchase was their 06 Napa Cab which we preferred over their Howell Mountain Cab which seemed to have too many tannins for us. The NV Cab was really smooth with a great finish. The tasting was led by Kathy Wood who I would highly recommend. On another day this trip we will taste four more Howell Mountain wineries, which I believe if you put Bremmer at the end of that day, you would have a great five winery tour.

The last stop of the day was at B Cellars on the Silverado Trail up near Calistoga. I believe a couple years ago this was the Silver Rose winery. Although the venue was outstanding, the wines had not improved from when it was the Silver Rose. I could only recommend this as a pretty place to see. By the way, we walked in and were shown where to sit and the hostess came poured our wine and left . . . each variety with very little comment. Most of their wines were blends (maybe that is what the “B” stands for).

The last couple trips I have been wanting to stop at Dutch Henry and wished we had instead of B Cellars. Another time.

Let me digress for a minute. As far as I am concerned, part of the wine tasting experience is the people and those that guide you through tastings. I really don't care how good your wines are, if I don't have a good "people" experience, I will not purchase.

This was the end of the second day and with only four wineries, we were able to head for our hotel for a much needed nap before dinner.

I have 6 more days and if you are interested in reading about them, let me know.

- Hawkeye

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Napa Valley, Days 1 & 2

Hawkeye! I can certainly say that I am interested in reading more about your 6 additional days!

we are just planning our first trip to Napa now, for our 10 year anniversary. With 2 babies at home, we aren't in the $75 per bottle range right now, but I enjoyed reading your trip report!

- Dawn

Level Contributor
34,748 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Napa Valley, Days 1 & 2

Sounds like you had a great time in the wine country, thank you for the report back! :)

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Napa Valley, Days 1 & 2

Now Hawkeye......

You write about the best trip reports on the forum! OF COURSE we want to hear all about your trip. Nobody knows the small venues like you do. ;)

Hixson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
238 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Napa Valley, Days 1 & 2

Hi Dawn,

I can assure you that $75.00 is stretching it for me too, but when I find a good one, I can't resist. I promise you that in one of the next reports I will tell you about a $25.00 and $45.00 Cabs that will stand up well with the great ones. Thanks for reading and commenting.

- Hawkeye

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
647 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Napa Valley, Days 1 & 2

Hawkeye, I loved reading your trip report and can't wait for the next installment. You've given us such great ideas for our next trip! We were 1st timers to Napa Valley this summer but definitely will return..Hall Rutherford, from your previous posts, is first on our list! Thanks, too, for the Mateus reference! Back in the 60's, our wine of choice was Boone's Apple Farm (almost too embarrassed to admit that!) and when we really wanted to be "sophisticated" we'd drink Mateus!!

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Napa Valley, Days 1 & 2

Great, great trip report, Hawkeye. We'll be happy to recommend it to others. :)

You indeed have a way with words. Reading your reports, we always feel like we're there with you, enjoying the wines, and the whole experience.

We haven't been to Salon, so you've whetted our palates for a visit!

Cheers,

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Hixson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
238 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Napa Valley, Days 1 & 2

Hi NOWI,

Thanks for chiming in. The SALON St. Helena is an new enterprise of Harris and Jones Wineries, both small production with Thomas Rivers Brown as winemaker. Thomas is winemaker for maybe a dozen wineries and has a real knack of getting the most from the grapes. Winemaker of the year in 2010, I was told that he has made more 100 point wines in his short career than any other winemaker. (I guess you can tell I am a fan). But, I digress.

Asa is the host at SALON St. Helena and is very knowledgeable about wines and the wine making process. We really enjoyed sitting around the big dining style table talking with him. Their fee is a little high, but the wines are incredible and the fee was waived because I had purchased previously direct from the winery.

As you know, I pride myself on finding the small, family owned wineries. One thing I have found is that the tasting fees are normally higher than the big box stores. I have resigned myself to that fact. But then, many times there is no tasting fee at the smaller guys. You need to ask when making an appointment. I can understand the higher tasting fees, normally you are the only persons tasting at the time and maybe all day. They open two or three bottles of wine for you to taste and if there are no other tasters, either the wine is held over or taken home to drink. So, I do see both sides.

One thing I do miss about tasting rooms is that you normally do not get to meet the owners. Many times when you taste at a winery, you are hosted by an owner. Prior to opening the SALON, I had an appointment to taste at the Harris Winery and I missed that intimate contact.

- Hawkeye

Hixson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
238 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Napa Valley, Days 1 & 2

Hi Molly,

I will relate to you a story about how I became acquainted with wine since you brought up Boone's Apple Farm. Back in the early 60s I started teaching high school in Council Bluffs Iowa and became very good friends with the assistant principal. He bred and showed collies and had probably the most famous kennel in the world. We would visit his farm on weekends to see the dogs. Prior to going home we always had to have a glass of Mogen David Wine mixed with 7-Up. I can still taste that!!!!!

Then we became friends with a Colonel (also into collies) at Offut Airforce Base in Omaha and would go to the Officers Club on the weekend. We would have cocktails, Mateus and steak and lobster for $2.95. And they say these are good days?

- Hawkeye

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
647 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Napa Valley, Days 1 & 2

$2.95?!! Wow..the good old days!

10. Re: Napa Valley, Days 1 & 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2012, 10:19