We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Berryessa camping

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
613 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Berryessa camping

Hello. We are planning on camping at this place at the end of August. Does anyone have any input about the campsites here? I have been reading they have portapotties. I am just hoping they have restrooms and showers. We went camping for the 1st time at San Simeon which was a great experience. Thanks in advance.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,604 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Berryessa camping

This site might help you.

anglernet.com/web/lakes/beryesa/berycamp.htm

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,209 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Berryessa camping

That link above is out of date. A new operator has taken over the franchise at Lake Berryessa and has been very slow to install new facilities. The camping this season is still pretty primitive. No water and port-a-potties for restrooms. Our local congressman is asking for an assessment of the company operating the resorts by the Bureau of Reclamation. The situation is pretty sad up there right now.

Unless you have a boat or are going to rent a boat, there's not that much to do at Lake Berryessa. The swimming from shore is marginal. The temperatures are very hot and the climate is really dry. It's also a very dangerous lake. Many people have died there. The bottom is like quick sand and if you don't know what you are doing, you could dive in and never come up. There are better places to camp in Northern California.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Berryessa camping

Lake Berryessa is a hidden jewel in the bay area. Just a few miles from Sacramento and San Francisco, Lake Berryessa offers camping, boating, swimming, biking, hiking, picnicing, wildlife viewing, flat water kayak opporunities. You can rent a jetski all the way oup to a houseboat to recreate and there is a boat free launch at Capell Cove. You can see what is available in the way of faciltites here: www.usbr.gov/mp/ccao/berryessa/index.html

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Berryessa camping

I've never been to Lake Berryessa and this is totally hearsay, but I've heard my young nephews in Sonoma County say there are rather scary drug issues at Clearlake and Berryessa. Lots of heavy meth users.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Berryessa camping

The stories you have heard from you nephews were true at one time, however during the past 4 years, major change has been underway. With the removal of 1500 privately owned trailers and a switch to more short term public use, there is a new paradigm at Lake Berryessa for family recreational opportunities.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Berryessa camping

Thats great to hear. I did have a chance to drive around Clearlake one time and it was nice.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Berryessa camping

I've heard from people who love Lake Barryessa. I drove by it once and never care to do so again.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Berryessa camping

I hope you change you mind about that travelingrunner...Lake Berryessa is a different place from what you saw previously...of that I am sure.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Berryessa camping

When is the best time to see it?

Edited: 01 August 2012, 22:58
Napa, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Berryessa camping

If you have a boat, any day of the week - free launching at Capell Cove Launch Ramp. Day use - Free at Oak Shores Day Use area on the West shore. Overnight RV or camping - recommend Pleasure Cove Resort with full facilities and amenities, including store, showers, launch ramp, full hook ups, cabins. Markley Cove is also a great location with overnight cabin rentals and full service marina. The other concession areas around the lake are in transition and are now somewhat primitive with the amenities. You'll be very pleased with the serenity and the wildlife viewing...spectacular.