We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel vs. b and b

Littleton, CO
Level Contributor
269 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
hotel vs. b and b

My husband and I have 3 nights and 4 days to celebrate our 15th anniversary. We decided to go to Napa Valley instead of San Francico. My husband is not a bed and breakfast fan although he doesn't mind them. He's somewhat into sight seeing and doesn't like chit chat. However, my Napa Valley research finds that a bed and breakfast may be better then a hotel. Am I right? We need ideas of where to stay. We picture our days consisting of bike riding, site seeing, swimming and wine tasting. This will be in July. Any ideas. Should we reconsider San Fransico?

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel vs. b and b

Have you considered a small inn that is not quite a B&B but still offers more than a hotel or motel. LaResidence in Napa sounds like it might fit your needs. Check out their reviews and website.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
172 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel vs. b and b

I think it depends on what you're looking for.

Our first time in Napa we stayed at the Beazley House

and enjoyed it....however, we barely spent any time in our

room. On our latest trip we stayed at the Napa Valley Railway

Inn. It served our needs well, it was 100 dollars cheaper a night

and it had a nice comfy bed and warm showers.

So, if you want to be pampered and plan on spending time in the room go BB, if you're looking for a place to rest your head go

Hotel etc.

Check out the El Bonita Motel too....nice location mid valley.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
875 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel vs. b and b

Have you thought about Sonoma County instead of Napa?

Check out Healdsburg. There are a couple of places to rent bikes and in my experience, the roads have less traffic and are more "share the road" friendly. You can also canoe and or swim in the Russian River, and visit the redwoods at Armstrong Redwoods in Guerneville.

I have a feeling that this is more what you're visualizing. Accommodations range from B&B's, top rate hotels and spas, to just plain old comfy Best Westerns. Check out www.wineroad.com.

If you do consider SF instead, you might like to take a bike ride across the bridge and into Sausalito or Tiburon or Larkspur, taking the ferry back to SF. www.blazingsaddles.com

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
109 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel vs. b and b

My husband doesn't enjoy B&B's either - and I am more into Boutique type style hotels than large chains. However, we just got back from a stay at the Lavender Inn in Yountville (good location in the Valley). For us, it was the best of both worlds.

Homemade breakfast - but you didn't sit down and eat with everyone. They just had everything sitting out, and you could come and go as you please. Plus, there were several little bistro tables all around so you didn't have to sit with anyone else if you didn't want to.

Small, quaint property - but all the rooms had their own entrance and private patios. I do think they have 1 or 2 rooms in the main house, but all the others surrond the main house. The bed was super comfy & the decor was nice as well.

They also had wine & snacks in the evening, as well as someone on the property to help you with your vacation details (which wine tasting rooms, restaurant reservations, etc).

I posted a more detailed review (with pictures) in the hotel section. Just search for Lavender Inn on this site.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
794 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel vs. b and b

Just sent in a posted for the Petit Logis Inn in Yountville should be up soon. It’s a five room B&B and you can walk to everything in town. I would not call a true B&B because your breakfast is across the street and you have the option of taking the breakfast or not. We decided to save $20 a night and opted for no breakfast and eat on our own. This is a great place because you have a nice patio for relaxing after a long day of wine tasting. The bedroom and bathroom are large. A nice perk is the Jacuzzi for two. Plus you are across the from the balloon rides. It’s a little pricy for a balloon ride but so worth it for site seeing.

If you have never been to SF you may want to split your days.

6. Re: hotel vs. b and b

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 22:18