We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on September trip

Charlotte, North...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on September trip

My husband and I will be travelling to Yosemite and then Napa in September. We will have two full days in Napa after several days hiking and exploring the beautiful landscape of Yosemite. We have already booked a tour through Platypus tours to visit wineries in Sonoma for our first day, so we are looking for advice on our plan for our second day, which will be a Friday.

I like whites and some lighter reds and my husband likes mostly reds. We are hoping to visit small to mid size wineries where we will have a good experience without a massive crowd. We are currently thinking of visisting the following wineries for our day out on our own:

* Sterling- primarily to start the morning with a great view :)

* Frank Family

* Stony Hill

* Cakebread

Any advice/suggestions on this itinerary and suggestions on places to eat while we are out and about as well as suggestions on reasonably priced places to eat in Napa itself are appreciated.

Level Contributor
35,753 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on September trip

All Seasons Cafe in Calistoga is a nice place to eat. In Yountville, Mustard's Grill is also very good. :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on September trip

When you set up your itinerary, try to move in one direction -- either work your way from south to north or vice versa. For example, Cakebread is the one closest to Napa while Sterling and Frank Family are on the northern part of the valley. If you end with the latter two, then going to Calistoga for a place to eat would make sense.

If you want some great views, I would look into wineries that are on Spring Mountain. I've only been to Pride and Barnett, both have great views and wines. They also have picnic areas where you can enjoy the views. Call or check their websites to see what you can bring. You will definitely need to bring your lunch with you.

In addition to Mustards, I would also recommend Brix. I've eaten at Brix about three times now, and it always puts be in the wine country mood. They have a great patio where you can enjoy the sun setting over the Mayacamas mountains while eating your meal.

Edited: 10 June 2013, 20:20
Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on September trip

I agree with the advice that you only want to travel one direction during the day. I usually try to start with the winery that is the furthest from where I'm staying/travelling from and then working my way back. Sterling can be fun with the walking tour and information, I think it's a good start. Other places that may be good for whites - I would also look at Goosecross, Laird, and Peju. As Napa is really known for big red wine, finding places that make a lot of white wine can be difficult.

In terms of eating, I would look at Oenotri (Italian) in Napa, Taylor's Refresher (an expensive burger, but a good burger) in St. Helena while you're out, and the Rutherford Grill (casual, and meat-heavy, in case you're not a meat eater).

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,537 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on September trip

Michelle D already has her wineries selected in a north to south order. It's certainly a good itinerary and she should find both excellent reds and whites.

Taylor's Refresher is now Gott's Roadside and is an excellent choice. If you like the Hillstone style of cuisine such as the Rutherford Grill, there is also their new R&D Kitchen in Yountville which just opened and might not be as meat oriented.

5. Re: Advice on September trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 05:16