We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough Itinerary - is this realstic

Alabama
Level Contributor
242 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Rough Itinerary - is this realstic

My husband and I are looking to spend roughly 1 week in California. I was thinking we would fly into Sacramento and drive to Yosemite for 2 nights at the Ahwahnee. From Yosemite, drive to Napa and stay 3 nights and tour Napa and possibly Sonoma. Then proceed to San Francisco for an additional 3 nights to explore the city and return home from San Francisco. Eight nights is the maximum time we can spend and I would hate to leave Northern California without seeing each of these places. I would appreciate any feedback on this itinerary before I proceed to make airline reservations and choose other hotels. Additionally, any tips on the driving itinerary would be great, such as which route to take to maximize our time and sightseeing options!! Thanks in advance!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough Itinerary - is this realstic

When are you planning to visit?

Alabama
Level Contributor
242 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough Itinerary - is this realstic

We are tentatively planning on arriving November 10 for 3 nights.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,565 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough Itinerary - is this realstic

The best advise is to post your CA itinerary in the Ca forum. You've posted in the town of Napa which is great for planning you stay there. Napa as you know is part of Napa Valley and a lot more to see and do outside Napa.

In any case, You've chosen 3 world class places, napa valley, Yosemite and San Francisco. No one can argue about that. Now what you need to decide is how much time you want to spend there. 2 nights is one full day and perhaps for some that may not be enough time in Yosemite but for others, that would be fine.

Most would suggest 2-3 full days in Yosemite at least a couple of days in each wine county or a day in each county and 3-4 full days in SF. We've spent a whole weekend in Napa and Sonoma valley as well as a week in wine country -- so it all depends on your preference. There is no wrong answer

now you may or may not get the best deal on car if you rent from Sac and return in SF. Shop around.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough Itinerary - is this realstic

Sacramento is a good starting spot if you can get a flight without a god awful lay over. Even though it is the state capitol the airport is seldom crowded. Plus you will find the drive out of town easier than Frisco. Might want to swing through old Sacramento downtown. It's right off the highway.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,565 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough Itinerary - is this realstic

you do have a way with words Bill W. I grant you that.

Alabama
Level Contributor
242 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough Itinerary - is this realstic

Thanks for the replies and moving me to the Cali forum! I am beginning to think, however much I would like to visit Yosemite, even for a day and a half, it may be too far out of the way. (4 hours). Plus, from what I can gather, there is not much to see on the drive from Sacramento to Yosemite. Starting to think maybe just 3 nights in Napa, Sonoma, and San Francisco each. Any advice on side stops while traveling from city to city would be appreciated!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough Itinerary - is this realstic

It's a shame you've decided against Yosemite. It's a three and a half hour drive from SMF. The last hour is pretty scenic if you take Hwy 140 along the Merced River. The Ahwanhnee Hotel is pretty special. I thought your original plan was a pretty good one.

Now you will be in wine country for 6 nights? That's great if you are really into wine. If not, you might think of spending a couple of nights on the coast which can be beautiful in November.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,565 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rough Itinerary - is this realstic

I agree with Super. Yosemite is one of the natural wonders of this country and the drive there is worth it. Please check that forum for more info or read the TQs in the CA or CALIFORNIA forum.

Edited: 25 September 2013, 17:20
Alabama
Level Contributor
242 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rough Itinerary - is this realstic

Wow. I really am conflicted now. I just wonder if I want to spend 8 hours on the road to visit Yosemite for a day and a half or if I would be better served to just split the time between wine country and San Francisco. I want to see it all but don't want to feel rushed. Is 3 nights in Napa enough? Can I visit Sonoma on the way to Napa from Yosemite? And then possibly take a scenic drive back to San Francisco - what sightseeing detour would there be on the way back to San Fran from Napa? Thanks for your help. Trip planning, while fun and exciting, can really become overwhelming and time consuming!

10. Re: Rough Itinerary - is this realstic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 10:20