We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco - Napa - Oakhurst

Cambridge, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
San Francisco - Napa - Oakhurst

Hi All

My fiancee and I are travelling to California for our Honeymoon next August. I am planning it as a surprise and all she knows is that we are going to California. After a couple of days in San Francisco we are headed over to Yosemite where we are staying just outside Oakhurst. However she has now asked me if we are going wine tasting at any point on the Honeymoon (ie "If we are anywhere near San Francisco can we go to Napa"!).

As our timetable is fairly tight anyway I was thinking of heading to Napa early in the morning (on a Wednesday) from SF (we're picking our car up from the airport) before driving to Oakhurst in the afternoon. I'm not as much as a wine lover as her so don't mind holding back on the wine to do the driving. Below is what I thought the days itinerary might look like. Does it look reasonable/achievable to people?

Drive SFO to Napa (2hrs) 08:45-10:45

Pick up Lunch at Oakville Grocery

Drive to Rutherford Hill Winery

Rutherford Hill Tour (approx 45min) 11:30-12:15

Eat lunch in Rutherford Hill olive grove (1hr) 12:15-13:15

Drive to Domain Chandon

Tasting at Domaine Chandon (45min?) 13:30-14:15

Drive to Oakhurst (4hrs) 14:15-18:15

Are we trying to do too much? Anybody's thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,298 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco - Napa - Oakhurst

My question is why are you staying outside of Oakhurst for a Yosemite visit? In August you can expect it to be hot & dry. The drive to Yosemite Valley from Oakhurst is about 1.5 hours. The best Oakhurst has to offer is low priced motels and grocery stores. Please read the Yosemite forum Top Questions about lodging to be sure you'll be happy with Oakhurst. Yosemite: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g61000-i315

As for the drive, I wouldn't try to add to the long day. It's feasible, but a very long day. How about a day tour from SF to Napa with someone else driving?

Pick up your car in downtown SF rather than traveling 13 miles out to the airport and paying airport prices.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,669 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco - Napa - Oakhurst

Hi,

It makes no sense to me to go south to the airport to pick up your car, then drive north to Napa and then south again to Yosemite! I agree that on one of your days in San Francisco you could take a day tour to Napa.

Cambridge, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco - Napa - Oakhurst

We're staying outside of Yosemite to keep our accomodation costs down. We're staying at a place called Evergreen Haus that's great value and looks really nice (has great reviews on here as well). I doubt we will spend much/any time actually in Oakhurst. Also after Yosemite we're heading to Monterey before heading down the PCH so it cuts the drive down on that day slightly.

I have thought about a day tour but as we only have 2 days in San Francisco it wouldn't leave us much time to actually see the city. And none of the half day tours go to Napa which is a bit frustrating!

The reason we're picking our car up form the airport is that I've requested a convertible Mustang but there's no guarentee as it's just "or similar" but they have more stock at the airport which increases my chances of getting the car I want.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco - Napa - Oakhurst

If "a couple of days" means 2 days your time for San Francisco already will be short. And for winetasting, those thngs always take longer than planned and you won't be running in and out to the wineries so maybe limit the number of wineries, If you had another day I also would recommend to take a tour and you can have some glasses too.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco - Napa - Oakhurst

What you want to do is certainly doable even if others advise against. It's your honeymoon and if Napa is that important, you have planned wisely. However, instead of Chandon, you could visit Mumm after Rutherford Hill. It's just two minutes away, has a better view, more relaxed tasting and will save you some precious time.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco - Napa - Oakhurst

My friend I think your Itinerary is perfect 2 hours to napa get lunch at Oakville grocery then to Rutherford Hill have Lunch and also Great view up there my mother use to deliver the grapes 30 years ago beautiful view and Domain is better then Mumm's the Grounds are beautiful your significant will love it and you will too.

If you are leaving at 2:15 to get to Oakhurst by 8:15 your are fine in my opinion.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

7. Re: San Francisco - Napa - Oakhurst

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 06:18