We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Napa party of six

Kaufman, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Napa party of six

Hi, I'm traveling to Napa in May with five friends (girlfriend getaway)

We will be staying at the Elm House Inn four nights.

Saturday

Arrive SFO - get rental car

Drive to Napa - stop for lunch in Berkley (my friend wants to say she's been there)

Domaine Carneros

Napa visitors center for info coupons etc.

Check in hotel

Hess collection

Back to hotel and dinner

Sunday

Oxbow market

Soda Canyon Store for lunch supplies

Dariuosh (to see architecture ) no tasting

Clos Du Val tasting and lunch at res. picnic table

Stag's Leap tour

Mumm Napa

Hotel and dinner

Monday

Clos Pegase - cave tour and tasting

Lunch - Busters BBQ Calistoga

Sterling - tram and tasting

(Open for rec. from hotel)

Or -- Beringer

Peju

Hotel and dinner

Tuesday

Napa farmers market

Open

Wed

Pack check out go to airport for 1PM flight

Any suggestions, help etc. wanted.Thanks in advance

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Napa party of six

You have way, way too much planned. Have you thought about maybe being slowed down with traffic; flat tire, waiting in lines; ?? My suggestion is to calm down, cut your list in half, and enjoy your selves more and have less stress. Chuck.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,537 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Napa party of six

For your picnic Sunday, you can probably get your lunch items at the Oxbow Market. There's probably no need to stop at the Soda Canyon Store. There's lot of other wineries you could visit on Tuesday but maybe you'd rather visit a spa or take a mudbath or maybe visit an art museum instead.

Hopefully, you are visiting in early or mid May. The last two weekends are going to be jammed here.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
26,812 posts
5,785 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Napa party of six

You will like the Elm House Inn - they are also very helpful if you have any questions during your trip.

Overall, i think your itinerary is fine.

1) You do not need to stop by the Napa Visitor center for coupons. There are free magazines at most wineries that will have the coupons in them. You can also find them on line quite easily.

napavalley.com/special_interest/…Wine.html

2) Hess Collection is one of my favorite wienries - but with 3 floors of artwork (quite interesting) and good tasting and store - and a drive from Napa (about 20 minutes into the hill and back) I would move that visit to your freer day on Tuesday. You will have plenty of time with just the farmers market being planned for now.

3) Sunday is fine - if the weather is sunny go for the higher end tasting at Mumm and perhaps share a cheese platter among you (its a lovely view from that area of the winery)

4) Monday is fine - Sterling has a coupon

…winecountry.com/wineries/…

and you might want to try and it looks like you are flexible if you cannot fit in one of the wineries.

5) Tuesday as mentioned move Hess here (you are too full on 1st day)

6) Let us know if you already know where you are going to dinner or if you need suggestions.

Also, carry waters in the car. Your # of wineries is fine - but there are several each day so stay hydrated.

Kaufman, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Napa party of six

Thanks for the reco. Getting our picnic at the Oxbow Market. I wasn't sure what there would be to offer to take on the road. Not making an extra stop will be good. Our trip,is 17-21 in May. With six ladies traveling we had to juggle a few schedules . These were the best dates foe everyone.

Kaufman, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Napa party of six

Ok will cut out the Visitors center. And I have read that the proprietors of The Elm House are very helpful. One poster said that they not only made reco. But call and made the res. and had some coupons on top! I'll see how time is going and leave Tues. open to move it there.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,537 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Napa party of six

Yes, I'm sure you will get some great advice from the Elm House people. At the Oxbow Market, there is the Model Bakery which makes great sandwiches and salads. You might miss it if you park in the main lot. It's on the street next to Gott's Roadside.

You are there the weekend before Memorial Day, so you don't have to worry too much about crowds.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
22 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Napa party of six

Domaine Carneros is one of my fave places. Great place to start off. That is the first place we visited on our first trip to the wine country, and it lives on in my mind always. Sparkling wines - very classy, very beautiful.

Darioush - Stunning and sexy inside and out. Very nice. No other winery like it out there in terms of architecture.

Sterling - tram ride to top, self guided tour, loved sitting on the deck outside and having a drink - there was a bar up there when I went. View is nice.

Peju - smaller winery but they brought us upstairs and gave us a more personalized tasting at a small bar which I though was interesting. We didn't pay for a private tasting, but it felt that way.

If you were to add a winery to your trip, Artesa is just spectacular. Great for a young, cool crowd. Cut into a mountain with fountain outside and 360 panoramic views. Just incredible. Modern inside.

Have fun!

Kaufman, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Napa party of six

LOL...we're not exactly a cool young crowd. More like a cool over fifties crowd.

I do have a question about Domaine Carneros. There are a lot of steps in the picture in front of the building, one of my friends does not do steps well. Are these to get up to the building or do go down to gardens? Otherwise we have no mobility problems we're older but not ancient.

Kaufman, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Napa party of six

Forgot to address dinner. Have a few places picked out. Trying to stay in the inexpensive range as some of us have small budgets. Plus two are staying over in SF three days and need to spread their funds. Oh and two of us don't eat wheat/gluten products (we'll probably eat a lot so salads).

Level Contributor
35,742 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Napa party of six

They are to get to the building where the tasting room is. If you go to Artesa, they have a lot of steps also. There is an elevator inside Hess to take you to the top floor where the art galleries are. Have fun! :)