We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Napa itenerary

PA
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Napa itenerary

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip out to Napa with my wife and we're fitst time visitors. Lots of great info on this site but it's like drinking from a fire hose. I put together an itinerary based on the feedback on this site and would love to get some opinions. I'm flying into SFO and planning on spending 3 1/2 days in Napa and then a couple of days in SF. Here's what I have so far:

Sun- fly in and head to Napa and check in at hotel ( River Terrace Inn?) in the afternoon. Looking for dinner suggestions

Mon- Napa wine tour with Platypus tours

Tues - Wine train tour ?

Wed- Sonoma wine tour with Platypus tours

Thurs- check out and head to SF

My wife and I saw various train tours including one in Napa and we both thought that would be great but I've seen various opinions on whether it's really worth it or not. I decided on doing the guided tours in order to avoid driving since we don't have a DD. that being the case I don't think I want pay for a rental car and am looking at how to get from the airport to Napa.

Any and all feedback is welcome and deeply appreciated! :-)

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Napa itenerary

With that itinerary, you probably don't need a car. Take Evans Airporter from SFO and you can arrange with them to be dropped at your hotel.

evanstransportation.com/rates_scheduled_airp…

PA
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Napa itenerary

Thanks! What did you think of the itinerary and the choices of events/locations?

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Napa itenerary

I would suggest renting a car for one of the days (you can do that in Napa) and drive around the Valley visiting some of the historic wineries and walking the streets of towns like St. Helena and Calistoga. I'm not sure how much of that you will get on the tours. Many people like taking tours like Platypus. You can read the reviews. But, three days in a row might be too much.

For dining, you have the Oxbow Market just down the street and Cuvee' right in front of your hotel. Downtown are a dozen or more choices.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Napa itenerary

Just found out Cuvee' is shuttered up. Too bad. Anyway, lots of other restaurants nearby. The Westin next door also has a couple.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
25,418 posts
5,634 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Napa itenerary

Cuvee is moving locations to the River Terrace Hotel - not closed for good, but probably will not be open when you visit. Celadon is a nice restaurant in Napa that we have enjoyed.....and about a 5 minute drive away.

napavalleyregister.com/lifestyles/food-and-c…

http://www.celadonnapa.com/

For the Napa Wine Train - several people I know recommend doing a combo tour such as lunch and a winery tour; dinner and a winery tour. Best to do during daylight hours. The reason for this is that the trip goes the same route both directions. But in all cases for those who did do the wine train, they thought it worth doing.

(Note: You can also drive the same route as the train as it basically goes on the tracks along side highway 29).

If you are more comfortable on tours, the tours you picked are good ones.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32766-d96…

Each their own

sounds like a nice time - be sure to enjoy the outside fireplaces at River Terrace Inn

Enjoy.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 01:54
6. Re: First time to Napa itenerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 06:27