We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good wineries or vineyards where you can stay the night?

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
27 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Good wineries or vineyards where you can stay the night?

Hi there, I am planning a road trip with my wife for October this year (first time over in the US from the UK), and as part of the trip we're looking to stay in Napa Valley for two nights, driving up from San Francisco.

I've seen some nice hotels, but what my wife would love to do is stay in a winery/vineyvard - are there any hotels/B&Bs/resorts that offer this? Its not always clear when I got to hotel websites.

Also, as we'll be driving up to Napa, we're worried about visiting wineries, tasting rooms etc, since obviously if we then drive back to the hotel only one of us can drink. This is one of the reasons we thought of staying at a winery or vineyard, to avoid that problem. But is there another way round this?

Any advice you can give would be much appreciated

St. Helena...
Destination Expert
for Napa Valley
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good wineries or vineyards where you can stay the night?

hi shrimp_91a - If your party is concerned about tasting and driving, you can hire a private tour guide, a designated driver or join a group tour. Check here for TA reviews: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32766-Activitie…

You may be surprised to learn that almost no wineries offer lodging on-site, due to strict land use regulations in Napa Valley - the same regulations that govern whether a winery can open a tasting room, host events/weddings, how many gallons of juice can be produced and whether a winery is open subject to appointments vs. open to the public.

The only guest cottage I know for sure that will be open this season is at Milat Estate Winery, near St. Helena:

https://www.milat.com/accommodations.php

(Notice disclaimer at the bottom stating the accommodations are not related to the winery. Napa County has very strict land use rules that can be frustrating to many, but one can't argue with the fact that the outcome is a gloriously beautiful natural setting bereft of many of the problems common in unregulated urban areas in the US.)

If your research uncovers others, please post and let use know!

Edited: 04 April 2014, 14:24
Level Contributor
34,979 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good wineries or vineyards where you can stay the night?

What is your nightly budget for lodging? :)

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,353 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good wineries or vineyards where you can stay the night?

Winery accommodations are more often found in Sonoma County than in Napa. You might check out the Wilson Winery group. Their lodging is geared towards its club members but they do allow non-members to stay if there is space available.

www.wilsonartisanwineries.com/lodging.html

London
Level Contributor
27 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good wineries or vineyards where you can stay the night?

I had tried to budget about $350 a night, but from what I've seen most accommodation seems more expensive than that, so suggestions welcome!

London
Level Contributor
27 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good wineries or vineyards where you can stay the night?

Thank you for the advice. I had thought about Sonoma too. Would you say its as good as Napa as a two night vacation spot?

London
Level Contributor
27 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good wineries or vineyards where you can stay the night?

Thanks NanciInNapa - I did not know about those land use laws, so that is good to know. And I have no objection to them if they keep an area of natural beauty protected!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Good wineries or vineyards where you can stay the night?

Silverado Vineyards has a guest house... http://www.silveradovineyards.com/

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,018 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good wineries or vineyards where you can stay the night?

If your travels take you down (or up) the California coastline, there are a number of B&B's in the vineyards of Paso Robles. The following link includes some of them:

bedandbreakfast.com/paso-robles-california.h…

London
Level Contributor
27 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good wineries or vineyards where you can stay the night?

Thanks all

Level Contributor
34,979 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good wineries or vineyards where you can stay the night?

In the Sonoma area is Beltane Ranch, set in the middle of the vineyard. :).