We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Day Trip Itinerary help, please

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas
Level Contributor
99 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
3 Day Trip Itinerary help, please

Hi everyone. My husband and I are spending three nights in Napa in the beginning of May. We're staying at a Bed and Breakfast in Napa. I would really appreciate some help with our itinerary. This is roughly what I have so far:

Saturday - our flight arrives into Oakland at 9:30 am, so after picking up our car, I figure we should get into town late morning/early afternoon.

Sunday - we have arranged a private wine tour to smaller, lesser known vineyards.

Monday - Maybe do the Calistoga area, and a mud bath at some point.

Tuesday - our flight leaves from Oakland at 6:30 pm.

Potential wineries: Silver Oak, Cakebread, Caymus, Artesa, Clos Pegase, Frank Family, Duckhorn, Schramsburg, Vincent Arroyo, Prager, Chateau Montelena?

Round Pond - olive oil tasting?

Potential restaurants - Celedon, Restaurant Allegria, Coles Chop house

Possibly Auberge du Soliel for drinks and apps

To consider - I love a good Cabernet, my husband likes Merlot, we both like sparkling wine and Port, not big on whites (although Far Niente Chardonnay is amazing!).

It's my birthday trip, so wouldn't mind splurging for a nice romantic dinner, but we live in Vegas and there are some great, expensive restaurants here. Would rather not spend $400 for dinner. Do love French food, though (champagne taste...).

Any suggestions for other restaurants would be welcome. The ones I picked are close to where we're staying so we don't have a long drive after drinking with dinner. But definitely open. Also, open to different wineries. We've both been to Napa before, years ago. We remember Sterling (great view, but not crazy about the wine), did the Mondavi tour, and the Domaine Chandon tour.

What am I missing? Thanks!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,315 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Day Trip Itinerary help, please

Although you have two full days and two part days, your available time is kind of limited since you are doing a tour one day and want to visit Calistoga on your other full day. You have a lot of wineries you want to visit but not a lot of time.

On Saturday, you could visit Carneros when you arrive from Oakland. Sample sparkling wines at Domaine Carneros, lunch at Boon Fly and stop for the view at Artesa before checking into the B&B.

Sunday - Private tour

Monday you could visit Schramsberg and maybe Frank Family in the morning, have lunch and then do your mud bath and have cocktails at Auberge on your way back to Napa.

Tuesday - maybe drive up to Oakville and visit Silver Oak, then do a wine and food pairing at Cakebread or the Olive Oil Tasting at Round Pond. If you can then pass on stopping for lunch, you could visit one more winery such as Caymus. You need to be on the road by 3pm to catch your flight since you will be driving to the airport during the crunch time of rush hour.

If you like French cuisine, consider Angele rather than Cole's Chop House. Vegas has plenty of good steak houses.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
99 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Day Trip Itinerary help, please

Thanks for the help. Have you done the tasting menu at Angele? $105/person for five courses, with wine pairing sounds pretty reasonable. Also, if we're planning on doing the tour at Schramsburg, we would probably skip Domaine Carneros. Maybe drive up to the Yountville/Rutherford area on Saturday? How far is that from Napa? It's difficult to gauge driving time from the maps. Also, any other suggestions for restaurants? Right now, I'm thinking Angele for dinner on Saturday, Celedon on Sunday, and Allegria on Monday. Is this a good selection? We're not big lunch eaters, so a quick bite along the way will do. Thanks again!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,315 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Day Trip Itinerary help, please

Yountville is 10 minutes north of Napa, Rutherford is 15 - 20 minutes. But, maybe you should go up to St. Helena on Saturday. Duckhorn for the Merlot and Prager for the port. I was trying to fit those in on Tuesday but that would have been too much. However, if you are cutting out Artesa and Carneros, you could go right up to St. Helena when you arrive from the airport. Since it will be mid-day, go up the Silverado Trail to Lodi Lane and visit Duckhorn first. The best way to get to the Silverado Trail is to take Hwy 29 to Oak Knoll Ave and cut over there. Hwy 29 gets very busy on weekend afternoons. From Napa, it will take you 30 minutes to get to Duckhorn.

I haven't done the tasting menu at Angele but have enjoyed dining there on their patio. It's one of the nicest places for dinner when it's warm enough to sit outside.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 17:37
Las Vegas
Level Contributor
99 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Day Trip Itinerary help, please

Perfect! So, what I'm now thinking is - Saturday, drive from Oakland to Duckhorn, (and maybe Rombauer if we make good time), then stop at Prager, and then check into Belle Époque. Dinner at Angele, or Celedon.

Sunday is our private tour. Dinner at either Allegria, or Carpe Diem, depending. Monday, head out early, stop at Frank Winery (or another suggestion?). Have reservation for tour at Schramsburg at 12:30, and then reservation at Golden Haven Spa for mudbaths at 2:30, then stop at Auberge for cocktails and view on the way back. Dinner at Celedon or Angele. Tuesday, head to Silver Oak, Round Pond (olive oil tasting with food), and either Cakebread or Caymus before heading to the airport. Any "must see's that I'm missing? Thanks!!!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,315 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Day Trip Itinerary help, please

You have a jam packed schedule. Of course there are many other places you could visit. There are hundreds of fine wineries. I'm sure you will be back.

One thought - On Monday, you could go to Castello di Amorosa as your first stop. This is very popular and many people find it very impressive. It opens at 9:30.

http://www.castellodiamorosa.com/Visit-Us

Napa
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Day Trip Itinerary help, please

Your missing a tour driver! Not only to help you not drink and drive, but perhaps help you with your itinerary.

My suggestion is to the call the Napa Welcome Center for suggestions, or the Yountville Chamber for fully vetted, properly insured drivers.

A private driver can be the best choice in your case.

yelp.com/biz/napa-valley-welcome-center-napa

http://yountville.com/things-to-do/

Enjoy!

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
99 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Day Trip Itinerary help, please

We actually will have a private driver on Sunday. On the other days, I've planned our schedule so that we're not doing more than two tastings each day, so I think we should be fine. And if the tastings are large, we plan on splitting one to save some $$ for purchasing bottles to take home. I did look into a driver, but they are very expensive, which is why I broke up our days like I did. We want to enjoy our visit, not spend our days in a haze. Napa is too beautiful for that! Thank you for your suggestion, though.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,177 posts
5,167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Day Trip Itinerary help, please

Celadon is a good choice for dinner; its one of our favorite and this year has got consistently better and better. (Note: I would consider it equally as good as Mon Ami Gabi (similar type menues without the fountain view) in Napa. Just mentioning that as it may or may not be your taste then since you know Las Vegas.

Round Pond olive oil tasting is the best we've ever been to. Its more like a light lunch - and you learn so much as you visit the olive oil mill itself, learn about the olive trees nearby, and the become an expert on how to really appreciate olive oil. (Its not one of those where you get the bread and dunk it in some olive oil - Round Pond is the real deal but does require reservations in advance. This is an upscale experience....

If you like port (which I do) Prager is a funky little place. enjoyable just seeing all those signed dollar bills plastering the walls of this friendly small winery.

Chateau Montelena is good if you do one of their special tours, if not I would give it a pass.

Frank Family - it has its devoted followers and interesting Marilyn Monroe stories; personally its not my thing but if into Marilyn Monroe trivia, great place to go.

Your list is great.....sounds like an amazing trip so just some thoughts to share....

Edited: 28 April 2014, 07:42
Las Vegas
Level Contributor
99 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Day Trip Itinerary help, please

Thanks, Mini. Mon Ami Gabi is one of my favorite Vegas restaurants, so I'm excited about Celedon! I will definately make a Reservation for Round Pond, and probably substitute somewhere else for Frank Family. Will play that by ear. It's getting close - now we just pray for nice weather!!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 Day Trip Itinerary help, please

Go to Sherwin, Barnett, David Fulton, Yates Family Vineyards, Patland Estates!

Have Fun......