We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight trip to napa -recommendations needed!

Clayton, Delaware...
3 posts
Save Topic
Overnight trip to napa -recommendations needed!

I will be in Sacramento this weekend and have some free time. I'd like to drive up to napa on Saturday morning and stay overnight. Are the hotel/wine package the best bet or book separately? I'm trying to make the most of my day. Hilton offers a package like I mentioned with lunch on the train. Not sure if there are more specific and impressive wineries I should see. I prefer dry reds and also champagne. Also thoughts on olive oil place? Is that good for a Sunday? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,568 posts
6,174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight trip to napa -recommendations needed!

If you can get a one night Saturday night booking in Napa - go for it. (Note - there are so many places that require two night stay especially starting around now due to spring/summer traveling), I would just book today.

Many do, some do not, like the wine train. For those who go on it, they like the meals - they like the scenery, but they also then want to do some wineries in addition (which you are planning to do.)

In regards to olive oil, try to book a reservation at Round Pond. They do the best (olive mill tour, learn how to taste olive oil, its more an experience than just dunking sourdough bread in some olive oil like many others do).

http://www.roundpond.com/

For bubbly, Mumm, Chandon.....or if you book ahead Schramsberg.

There are many wineries with dry red wine......so it depends on part if you have any favorites already and choose those; or do ones with interesting things to see such as views of the valley such as Sterling or modern art collections such as Hess (although its a bit of a drive into the hilly side from highway 29 - about a 20 minute drive to/from).

Mentioned in this post
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight trip to napa -recommendations needed!

Jacqui - it sounds like you are a wine novice. I would recommend taking the tour at Robert Mondavi Winery to get a basic idea of how wine is made and to get an introduction to the various varieties. Visiting a sparkling wine producer like Chandon or Mumm would also be a good idea.

Your idea of taking the wine train might also work for you. Are you traveling alone? Have you already gotten your room reservation?

Mentioned in this post
Robert Mondavi Winery
Robert Mondavi Winery
1,281 Reviews
Oakville, CA
Level Contributor
37,772 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight trip to napa -recommendations needed!

We were able to stay one night on a Saturday night at Old World Inn in Napa on a Saturday night. We enjoyed our stay there very much. :).

Mentioned in this post
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
4. Re: Overnight trip to napa -recommendations needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 05:16