We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ashland Oregon to San Francisco

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milford PA
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Ashland Oregon to San Francisco

I will be driving from Ashland Oregon to the San Francisco area in early October of this year. We'd like to visit the Redwood Ntl Pk and the Napa area before arriving in San Francisco. Any suggestions for a good place to stay south of the park before heading to Napa?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,508 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ashland Oregon to San Francisco

Mendocino is a nice place to stay.

Milford PA
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ashland Oregon to San Francisco

Thank you, I have heard Mendocino is a great place to visit, but it's a 7 hour drive from Ashland to Mendocino; that doesn't seem like it would allow much time to visit Redwoods Park.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,508 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ashland Oregon to San Francisco

So how many total days do you have? I did not know you planned to drive directly from Ashland to Redwood NP.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,322 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ashland Oregon to San Francisco

You don't really have many options at that stretch of California coast. Eureka is the biggest city south of Redwood National Park. You will have many choices of accommodation but not sure if it meets your "good place to stay" standard.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,353 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ashland Oregon to San Francisco

Carter House Inn in Eureka is very high end and they also have an excellent restaurant. The Lost Whale Inn in Trinidad would also be a great place to stay.

Here's a video from the LWN network about Redwood National Park:

livewellnetwork.com/Motion/…9144703

Milford PA
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ashland Oregon to San Francisco

Sorry, I should have clarified I really only have a day or two to travel -- I do want to spend some time in Redwoods, maybe take a short hike or two. Then drive a bit further and spend the night -- and on to Napa the next day.

And by "nice place" I don't mean high end necessarily; clean and comfortable in a pleasant location would be fine!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ashland Oregon to San Francisco

Sure there are lots of clean and comfortable places to stay :-)

The term "the park" is a bit misleading for Redwood NP. It's not a separate gated area as many NPs are. Hwy 101 goes right though the middle of it, and you'll see private property all around, mixed amongst the government owned land.

For places to stay, definitely look at Trinidad. There are three upscale B&Bs plus one very nice motel, as well as some older motels. You may also be interested in the Holiday Inn Express in Klamath - brand new and hopefully open now, or the Ravenwood or Requa Inn also in Klamath. There is also decent lodging in Arcata (off Guintolo Lane) and McKinleyville, although neither is what I call charming or interesting.

Eureka has a wide variety of lodging in all price ranges but is a rather congested noisy town. Farther south and slightly off 101 is the authentic Victorian village of Ferndale. There is also the Scotia Inn in Scotia - the last company town in America. Fortuna has standard chain motels along the freeway and they are all close enough to walk to the Eel River Brewpub.

-

Are you familiar with using the search box at the top right of any TripAdvisor page? Just enter the town and state, then on the next page, select "Hotels" and you can see photos and read reviews about hotels, motels, inns, B&Bs and even RV parks and campgrounds in each town :-)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ashland Oregon to San Francisco

p.s. Take Newton Drury scenic parkway south of Klamath.

Puget Sound...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ashland Oregon to San Francisco

Just did this -- took 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City, then south through the redwoods. I had similar problems finding a decent place to stay that night; ended up at the BW Humboldt House in Garberville -- a nice hotel in a not-so-nice town. If your budget allows, the Benbow Inn south of Garberville is very nice.

Puget Sound...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ashland Oregon to San Francisco

Just did this -- took 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City, then south through the redwoods. I had similar problems finding a decent place to stay that night; ended up at the BW Humboldt House in Garberville -- a nice hotel in a not-so-nice town. If your budget allows, the Benbow Inn south of Garberville is very nice.