We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Wedge

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
327 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
The Wedge

It's been several years since I've been to the wedge; so I've forgetten exactly where it is. Can anybody help with the street #? I want to show my kids the body surfers.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,457 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Wedge

Address: End of Balboa Island from Jetty, View Park

www.surfline.com/reports/report_travel.cfm…

…away.com/outside/features/200408/bodysurfin…

laguna beach, ca
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Wedge

Slight correction:

The Wedge is at the tip of Balboa Penninsula. . . Balboa Island is another entity unto itself in Newport Harbor. . . .

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
417 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Wedge

WOW! Bosco7, I went to that first link you posted. I am going to Newport Beach (first trip to cali) in august and have the entire day on sunday to explore before my training starts monday. Exactly how do I get to this place called the Wedge from MacArthur Blvd?

I have never had the pleasure of seeing a wave that big, coming from NJ.

laguna beach, ca
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Wedge

Muzebiz,

Yogachik (who posted before me) gets all the credit for posting the great links. . . I just made the "slight correction."

To get to the Wedge from MacArthur try this: take MacArthur west 'til it dead ends into Pacific Coast Hwy. Turn right on PCH and travel up to the Newport Blvd ramp (just takes a few minutes. . . you'll go under the Newport Blvd overpass and take the first ramp on your right and that will swing you around onto the Blvd). Keep right until you get to Balboa Blvd then ease left onto W. Balboa. Go a short way and ease right on Miramar Dr. . . then make a right on Channel Rd. Should take about 15-20 minutes from MacArthur and PCH to the Wedge (depending on traffic). If you have any probs finding it ask any local. Enjoy!

P.S. If you're staying at a hotel ask them for a map of the area (particularly the Balboa Penninsula) to get your bearings. . . .

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Wedge

Hello to So Cal, this was quite an interesting thread, as I used to go down to the Wedge many, many years ago when my parents had a beach house in Newport Beach. (Just to watch!) Back in those days, those being the mid-late 60's, I seem to remember only surfers there. And then around 1970/75 or so, they tried to shut it down because every so often somebody would get badly hurt or killed. I am glad it is still open.

laguna beach, ca
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Wedge

Half-Brit:

Yep, it was and is for the brave at heart. I'm an old surfer (board and body), but the Wedge was a bit to fast and furious for me (large waves and shallow shoreline) even in my youth. . . I was a watcher too. . . .

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Wedge

The information couldn't be more perfect. I just want to add that this is not a place for young children or the inexperienced to swim. As Bosco7 noted, even local surfers have a very healthy respect for the area. In heavy surf, I have seen people pulled out while standing in seemingly safe, ankle deep water. Absolutely enjoy the experts out there. It's a great sight. But walk north a hundred yard for a dip.

8. Re: The Wedge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 13:16