We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriot Newport Coast Villas

NYC
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Marriot Newport Coast Villas

I have been reading mixed reviews on the condition of some of the villas at Newport Coast Villas. Can anyone tell me which villas are very close to the main building, with an ocean view and that are have been refurbished. I understand on the villas in the 4000's are new but a far walk and some of the older villas are in need of refurbishing. I have read dirty rugs, worn furniture, water leaks, mold, ants. I will be going there and want to make sure I request something that is up to date and clean with very little walkng to the main attractions, pool, pool volleyball, swim up bar, etc...

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriot Newport Coast Villas

Newport Coast Villas is in a constant state of refurbishment. It's 700 villas and when they reach one end they they go back to the other end and start over. I'ts about a 4-5 year cycle but, depending upon when the review was written and where the referb was at the time, a review that is only 3-4 months old may be out of date.

Go to: marriott-vacations.com/common/…map.pdf for a map of the resort and decide for yourself about location to the main pool. The 3600 building is directly above the main pool area. It does have a pool bar and grill but it is not 'swim up'. BTW, 'future development' has been completed including the 5th pool near the tennis courts.

This is a 76 acre resort so there is bound to be some distance between various areas. There may be some complaints (always are in the travel industry) but, by and large, this an extreamly popular resort that the vast majority of the guests love.

Go in with a good attitude and treat the staff nicely (a good recommendation no matter where you are going and you'll have a good time.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriot Newport Coast Villas

We stayed there and I was underwhelmed. Compared to other resorts we have visited, I don't think it matches up. Very dominated by car culture. You have to drive everywhere because there are no restaurants etc on site or within walking distance. Spread out and not in a good way (some resorts are spread out but the walks are pretty). The pool area looks fabulous but doesn't function very effectively - dull and strangely located so when you are sitting down, you can't actually see the fabulous view. Road going up the hill behind it is very noisy. Lots of maintenance issues etc in the public spaces as well as maybe some of the units. If you get a great deal, for sure it's nice to have the extra space with the kids and it's close to some great beaches - but you need to drive even to Crystal Cove really because the walk down is fine but it's far enough and steep enough that to carry all the beach stuff back would be sufficient hassle to deter you. If you're thinking of full price, I think you can do better.

I'm always very nice to the staff by the way.

Cincinnati
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriot Newport Coast Villas

We are staying at Marriott Newport Coast Villas as I type this. I agree that if you want a resort where you can walk to most anything or that is right on a beach then this isn't for you. You aren't going to find much of anyting along this particular coast line that is beach front unless you own a home.

We are staying in the 2400 building on the top floor. The unit is very updated and has a great panoramic view of the north and south coastline.

The staff has been 100%+ moving us from the first room we had, which we didn't care for because of a poor view to the present room. Mind you we are Marriott Vacation Time Share owners so if you are a renter, you may not get the same treatment, but I know they will try their best to make their guests happy.

NYC
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriot Newport Coast Villas

Was the 2400 building close to the pool, because of a hip problem I need to be near the main pool area. And was there steps? Thank you.

5. Re: Marriot Newport Coast Villas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2010, 05:19