We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watch boat tours - early November

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canton, Michigan
Level Contributor
139 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watch boat tours - early November

I will be visiting Southern California Nov. 4-10, 2009 (Hollywood/Long Beach/Hermosa Beach). I am considering a whale watch boat tour out of Newport Beach. Since I believe this is not really any sort of migration season, I am wondering if taking such a tour during my visit would be worth the cost and time. Thanks for helping me plan my itinerary.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watch boat tours - early November

Besides whales there are often dolphins and other sea creatures to be seen.

The best tour that I'm aware of is Captain Dave's Dolphin Safari out of Dana Point Harbor (about 12-15 miles south of Newport Beach).

Search TA for reviews. Their website is: www.dolphinsafari.com. They have a 'scorecard' on it where they list what they have seen and how many there were. It's usually current up to a couple of days. You can also call them and they can also update you that way.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watch boat tours - early November

I just checked Redondo Beach Marina, located next to Hermosa Beach where you will be, and their whale boats run Dec. to April to see the whales.

www.redondosportfishing.com/Whale%20Watch.htm

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watch boat tours - early November

From what I can recall, Whale Watching boats out of Newport Beach don't typically get started until after Christmas/New Years -- because that is when the whales really start to show up in numbers that make sightings predictable.

However, on Davey's Locker's website, they show Whale Watching schedules year round...? (http://www.daveyslocker.com/index.html) I just don't know that you would see any whales in November. You would very likely see dolphins and sea lions however.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,973 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watch boat tours - early November

If you look at the "scorecard" that remdog is referring to on the dolphin safari site, the tours are seeing blue whales in the area at this time.

Canton, Michigan
Level Contributor
139 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watch boat tours - early November

Thank you all so much! I checked into the tours out of Newport Beach and Dana Point. I am glad to see there are seeing whales, although not in the number as you would during the migration season. We do like nature, so I think we will give it a try, weather permitting. Probably will only go as far south as Newport Beach though and do the morning tour as our schedule is pretty tight. Dana Point does look interesting thought. Maybe another time!

6. Re: Whale watch boat tours - early November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2010, 05:17