We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which restaurant to choose?

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Topic
which restaurant to choose?

We have one night in Orange County...which restaurant should we choose... las brisas or javier's?

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which restaurant to choose?

IMO, Javier's. Las Brisas has beautiful views but they are available to anyone for free simply by walking the path around Heisler Park; other than that it's a 'tourist trap'.

Are you limiting your choices to just these two restaurants? There are many that are better in the area.

Level Contributor
34,236 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which restaurant to choose?

We love Las Brisas, do you want strictly casual places? :)

Edited: 02 June 2011, 17:06
New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: which restaurant to choose?

thanks. we are open to other suggestions too...something on the water, lively crowd, good food, great drinks.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which restaurant to choose?

Javiers isnt on the water, but some tables have an ocean view...but for 'lively crowd, good food and great drinks' its perfect for you

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,935 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which restaurant to choose?

Lively crowd means over overly loud, Javier's has been a meet market since they moved from Laguna Beach to the Newport Coast. They were better off where they were,

I would look at Splashes at the Surf & Sand Resort in Laguna Beach for good food, service and a nice view. Or Claes at the Hotel Laguna for great food, service & views.

Las Brisas has one of the best views in CA, but expect spotty service with decent, but not great food. If you are patient and the view is the most important part of the meal then Las Brisas is fine.

Javier's "view" is of Coast Highway and the ocean, you can't really see much of the coastline because you are set back from the cliff as opposed to Las Brisas being on the coast.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which restaurant to choose?

Questions: type of food you like, age range, number of people in the party, week night or weekend?

Edited: 02 June 2011, 17:52
New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: which restaurant to choose?

we are open to the type of food. 2 people, late twenties, and it will be a wednesday night. thanks for all the help :)

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which restaurant to choose?

Sorry, I should have asked where you are staying. If you are in Newport Beach here a couple of possibilities:

333 Bayside (both the name and the address): An upscale restaurant that attracts a heavily weighted crowd aroung your age. It's not on the beach but it is a dockside, waterfront restaurant. The last time I was there the food was fair, not great. It was very active with a lot of interesting 'people watching'. To be fair, that was a Friday night. I don't recall ever having been there on a Wednesday evening so.....

Another possibilty: If you like Italian, maybe Il Farro, right at the base of the Newport Pier. IMO, very good Italian food and it reminds me of some of the Manhattan Italian restaurants that I've been in (deli included). Reasonably priced, good staff. Next door is one of the oldest bars in Newport Beach, The Blue Beet---a very unique history and they usually have live music (check their calander for your date). It attracts an eclectic crowd. Once again, I have to say that I've only been there on weekends. But, maybe have dinner at Il Fargo, a walk on the Newport Pier and an after dinner drink and dancing at the Blue Beet. Or, maybe, reverse that plan. :-) The Blue Beet does have food if you want to give it a shot.

www.3thirty3nb.com

www.ilfarro.com

www.thebluebeet.com

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which restaurant to choose?

Looking at the other messages you've posted, I'm going to assume that you are looking more for a young locals' happy hour hang-out than a fine dining restaurant. For that purpose Las Brisas and Javier's would suit you but I would also consider the Rooftop Lounge http://www.rooftoplagunabeach.com/ where you can also get really good bar food along with the best view and a lively bar scene.

Edited: 02 June 2011, 23:53
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,935 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which restaurant to choose?

I will stick with Splashes in Laguna Beach and say hit Mozambique after.