We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Newport area please help...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Newport area please help...

This may not be what this message board is for but i use trip advisor for everything so figured i would try....

I will be moving for work to the area in a few months. I am clueless as to where to begin looking to live. My office will be by John wayne airport and i dont want to commute much (15-20mins max) ... however i will be working east coast hours so there should never be traffic (in at 5AM, done at 2)

30yr old single male professional....I want to live as close to the beach as possible and also walking distance to things to do. I have been in manhattan for 10+ years and need to have at least a bodega and some bars or restaurants within walking distance. I would give up amenities for location....

ive been told to check the penninsula or Lido or huntington but this doesnt mean much to me. The internet is full of BS information so any help as to where to begin the search would be greatly appreciated.

thanks all, cant wait to be on PCT!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,204 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Newport area please help...

Before old-timers to TripAdvisor get upset, everyone should know that TA *does* allow some moving related threads. Here is the current policy:

-------------

A discussion providing short-term relocation advice is acceptable provided it remains relevant to travelers moving or looking to move to that destination. Orientation to neighborhoods, travel logistics, visa requirements, or even post-arrival "thanks, everyone" updates are welcome, whereas asking for help finding roommates, buying/selling furniture or ongoing personal updates are not considered travel-related. tripadvisor.com/help/what_are_the_guidelines…

--------------

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Newport area please help...

If considering Lido, check out Balboa Island too. You will find more people your age and more rentals on Balboa Island. For Beach, Penninsula will be best

Mentioned in this post
Balboa Island
Balboa Island
1,212 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Newport area please help...

You might consider Park Newport Apartments. They have some short term, furnished rentals that may work for you if you want to get to know the area before you make a long term decision. Eight (I think) swimming pools, basketball court, eight tennis courts, beach volley ball court (sand), fitness center, convenience market that usually has several evening meals to go available if you don't feel like cooking, dry cleaner and barber shop on property. Garage parking rather than 'carports' which is important in So Cal since, over a period of time, the sun can destroy your paint. They have a very nice Club House with various events during the month; BBQ's and pool parties with a dj as well. Also, a shuttle bus that does regular runs to super markets, shopping centers and even art museums and TV shows up in LA. Ten minute drive to the airport. Right across from Fashion Island (about a 10 minute walk depending on how you hit the traffic lights) with about 200 stores and 30 or so restaurants. On the other side of the property is what's known as 'The Back Bay', which is the largest esturary (which is where the fresh water and the salt water come together) in Southern California and it's also a nature preserve where you can jog, bike, roller blade, take nature trails, etc.

Two miles to the harbor (you need to look at a map of Newport Beach to understand how it's laid out, beaches on the peninsula and the coast, the harbor in the middle). The Harbor includes cruises, the Fun Zone, plenty of good restaurants. The peninsula has not one but two piers with about a 1.5 mile stretch of broad, white sand in between. Lots of good restaurants in the area as well. Crystal Cove, on the coast, is a CA State Park as well as a California Historic District with the largest undeveloped beach between Santa Barbara and Mexico. It also has had a number movies filmed there.

Corona Del Mar, which is a neighborhood in Newport Beach, with nice restaurants, shopping, walk around area is about a 5 minute drive from Park Newport.

Laguna Beach is about 15 minutes to Main Beach. Beautiful town to just hang out in---maybe something like the Hamptons (I've never been there so....just throwing that out. LOL)

Links:

http://www.parknewportapts.com/

www.shopfashionisland.com

www.newportbay.org

www.lagunabeachinfo.com

www.crystalcovestatepark.com

www.thebeachcombercafe.com

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Fashion Island
Fashion Island
542 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
California
California
United States
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
1,195 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Corona del Mar
Corona del Mar
Newport Beach, CA
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Main Beach
Main Beach
479 Reviews
Laguna Beach, CA
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Newport area please help...

thanks all!

ill be googling like crazy for the next few weeks

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Newport area please help...

I should have added www.visitnewportbeach.com If you scroll down the opening page to digital guides it will allow you to read through about 90 pages of of the visitors' guide.

I can't tell if you are looking for something temporary or something long-term in tems of houseing.

Lido Island is a very cloistered, single family area. There are, from time to time, rentals available but they are usually a room rental in a house because the island is primarily residential. You could walk to the Lido Peninsula from some of them but that's about it. It would also add some time to your commute to the office.

Balboa Island is great. It does have many of the things you've mentioned. However, it's the same thing I mentioned above, it's primarily residential and doesn't have a lot of rentals available. Then again, I/we don't know what you are looking for. Tell us and we'll respond.

Mentioned in this post
Balboa Island
Balboa Island
1,212 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,606 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Newport area please help...

bigdiddy, If you want to be walking distance to upscale cafes and bars, I would suggest Carona del Mar (south Newport Beach). There are always rentals available, the best being the small homes within walking distance of PCH. Since you were in Manhattan, I suspect that your budget would cover that area. Laguna Beach would also probably be good for you as there is a great village atmosphere. Huntington Beach is a bit more car dependent as the downtown business area is limited. There are bars and casual cafes and surf shops but few useful stores and services (like grocery stores and dry cleaners). For those you have to get in your car.

I have to disagree with Remdog about Park Newport. I've had a few friends who have lived there and their residence there was short lived. It is not walking distance to anything and it is so huge and impersonal, and has so many rules, it feels like living in a big expensive college dorm.

Mentioned in this post
Del Mar
Del Mar
California
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
1,195 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
328 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Newport area please help...

I second/third the Corona del Mar suggestion. The "flower streets," which are called that because they have flower names, are all just blocks from the Ocean and from Coast Highway, which has many restaurants, shops, bars, and a grocery store. Look for a rental on a flower street or on Ocean Blvd or streets numbered first through fifth.

Balboa Island has Marine Street, which is 2 blocks of shops and restaurants. Only one real bar, the Village Inn.

Balboa Peninsula has lots of rentals. Less shopping, but plenty of bars and restaurants.

Laguna Beach is wonderful. North Laguna and South Laguna have the fewest restaurants and retail. Ask how close a place is to the village. If it's close to the village, it's close to the beach, too.

All of the above are an easy drive to your office near John Wayne. Balboa Island and Corona del Mar are the closest.

Good luck!

p.s. I agree that a short-term rental at Park Newport would give you a chance to get acclimated and make an informed decision.

Mentioned in this post
Corona del Mar
Corona del Mar
Newport Beach, CA
Balboa Island
Balboa Island
1,212 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Balboa Island
Balboa Island
Newport Beach, CA
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,083 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Newport area please help...

Not the peninsula, not Lido.

Balboa Island would be great, the flower streets in Corona del Mar, the airport area of Newport and Irvine on Jamboree Blvd, some cool urban living areas are there and some place close to downtown Laguna Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Balboa Island
Balboa Island
1,212 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Corona del Mar
Corona del Mar
Newport Beach, CA
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Irvine
Irvine
Orange County, CA
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Newport area please help...

'Cats: as you know, you are one of my favorite posters here. I respect your opinions and ideas. However, regarding Park Newport, rather than knowing someone that lived there, I actually did live there----for 15 plus years. I signed a 6 month lease (not sure if they still offer that) so that I could check out places in the area. Stayed for 11 years and then moved out to a GF's place. After about 1.5 years it was obvious that it wasn't working for us and one day I ran into my former next door neighbor, a wonderful woman from Argentina, used to bring me empanadas all the time----that gave me a big hug and said "your old apartment is vacant, why don't you come back!" The next day, I did. So, same apartment, 15 + years.

IMO, the staff was excellent, the pool parties, the tennis parties, the gym, were all terrific. I'm not saying it is perfect because anytime you have 1300 units you are going to have some problems. However, if you just go about your business, you'll be fine. I made friends there that I still keep in contact with. I didn't find it impersonal at all---in fact, for me at least ,it was just opposite. Many times it's what YOU make of a situation. (shrug)

As far as walking somewhere, I worked at Fashion Island for a few years and, unless it was raining, I usually walked to work. Something like 30-40 restaurants of all types (including one of your favs, Roys) cater to a wide and diverse crowd. That many restaurant/bars is more than the total places in CDM, Balboa Island or maybe even Huntington Beach. The Taste of Newport is one of the largest Food Festivals in the US and is held at FI. The (free) summer concert series is very nice and all of the other events that the Irvine Company puts on there add a lot of value to the area. It's an easy walk from Park Newport---about 10 minutes.

The Hyatt Summer Jazz Festival is less than a mile away and is one of the outstanding Jazz Festivals in the country. Takes place almost every Friday from mid-May until about mid-October. Less than a 10 minute walk from Park Newport. Throw in the 4th of July fireworks from the Dunes (which I used to sit on my balcony and watch for free with no parking hassels), that's an added bonus.

You can walk to The Back Bay, the harbor in addition to the restaurants/bars. It's actually pretty easy and I'm twice the OP's age. LOL. Probably not as fast though. :-)

For a brief while I worked right across from the SNA airport. I had to be in at 6:30 AM (ugg, I hated that) but the drive was usually less than 10 minutes.

The good thing out of this thread however is that you can now say that you have a good friend that lived at Park Newport for 15 years and loved it. :-)

Rem

Edited: 15 June 2011, 06:49
Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Fashion Island
Fashion Island
542 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Balboa Island
Balboa Island
1,212 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Irvine
Irvine
Orange County, CA
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,606 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Newport area please help...

Rem -- Different strokes for different folks (or cats and dogs in our case). I visited at Park Newport and did see and meet people who were happy there.

But it wasn't my type of place and my friends weren't happy there for long.

I don't like "all inclusive" resorts either and Park Newport felt equally isolated and restraining.

Assuming the OP is a brokerage type (works 5-2?) has lived in New York and likes walking to shops and cafes, I think Corona del Mar and Laguna are a better fit for what he describes.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Corona del Mar
Corona del Mar
Newport Beach, CA
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA