We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Newport beach the place for me and my family...?

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Is Newport beach the place for me and my family...?

My family and I plan to visit California in July and after conducting abit of research I have come to the conclusion that Newport beach may be the place for us...

Our criteria is... beach, vacation home with pool that sleeps 6, tennis courts nearby, Hollywood not a million miles away, sun, shopping malls and great restaurants.

My budget on the vacation rental would be $2,500 for the week and my party consists of age range 16-57.

Nick, London

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,781 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Newport beach the place for me and my family...?

Nick, as I answered in one of your many other threads, there are many locations in Calif that fits your criteria, including Newport Beach. Now you need to narrow down to one or two choices and go from there.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Newport beach the place for me and my family...?

Nick:

You've asked this question on a number of forums and I've already answered your question on the Laguna page.so read that.

I still don't know if, when you say 'home,' you mean a free standing house.

Marriott's Newport Coast Villas (a timeshare) was brought up in the Laguna thread but I'll give you some details. NCV units are all 2 BR/2Bath, 377 square meters, sleep six, has a full kitchen, five pools, three tennis courts, putting green, basketball court, fitness center, spa, pool bar and grill.,outdoor grills i if you'd like to do a steak or fish, etc at 'home'. It sits above the largest undeveloped beach between Santa Barbara, CA and Mexico. Approximately 80% of the villas have ocean views

NCV is located about 6.5 km from Fashion Island and about 8 km from either Balboa Island in Newport Beach or Main Beach in Laguna Beach.

The problem is that you are looking for units in the busiest part of the season. If NCV is of interest and your dates are a bit flexible you could possibly book an owner rental through Marriott of rent directly from an owner at Red Week..

If you are interested let me know and I'll post links and ideas.

Edited: 20 December 2011, 18:07
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Newport beach the place for me and my family...?

I think Newport fits the bill, except for the following: I can't picture getting a beach house with a pool for $2,500.

In fact, finding a house with a pool at the beach is going to be pretty tricky, and the handful that have a pool (and are open for rentals) are going to be very pricey.

Most of the weekly rentals in Newport are located on the Balboa Peninusla or Balboa Island. I don't believe there is a single pool on Balboa Island, and there might only be 10-15 pools (a guess) on the Balboa Peninsula, most of which are in super fancy oceanfront or bayfront mansions -- which either aren't for rent, or would be a much, much more expensive then $2,500 to rent for a week. Lots near the beach in Newport are just too small for a pool, unless you are living in a $8-10+ million lot.

Other then the pool, Newport fits the rest of your requirements very nicely. it has great beaches, two world-class shopping malls nearby (Fashion Island and South Coast Plaza), a pleathera of food options, plenty of rental beach houses, and a decent selection of public (and private) tennis courts. On the Peninsula, there are public tennis courts at Balboa Blvd and 17th Street, and then more on 57th Street and Seashore, along with the Peninsula Point Racquet Club (private) at Balboa Blvd and L Street.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,836 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Newport beach the place for me and my family...?

Beach and a pool in July in Newport Beach? Not happening would be my guess. Even in Irvine that might be tight. You might get by the beach, but a pool is unlikely.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Newport beach the place for me and my family...?

Hmmm where would you guys suggest that this criteria may be feasible? (apart from Palm Springs, minus the beach)

santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Newport beach the place for me and my family...?

2500 for a vacation home in Newport Beach in July is very low, unless you go inland far from the beach (and probably w no pool)

Have you looked at Oceanside CA? In your price range for the month of July, there are many condos right on the beach w swimming pools . Go to www.homeaway.com and type in Oceanside Ca.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Newport beach the place for me and my family...?

Many free standing homes at/near the beach do not have pools.

Those that do are waaaay over your price point.

IF you are willing to look at townhome communities(attached 2 story dwellings) with community pools instead of private pools for your own home then you may find something in that category.

The farther away from the ocean , the more likely you are to find homes with pools. You can also find resort hotel properties with family accommodations and shared pools for your price. Let us know if you are willing to look at other things besides free standing private homes.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Newport beach the place for me and my family...?

This is an example of what I was describing:

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g32279-…

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Newport beach the place for me and my family...?

It depends on how close to the beach you need to be. If you want to be within a couple of minutes walk/bike to the beach, its hard to imagine renting a house with a pool for $2,500.

I agree with the above, about Oceanside. That might be the cheapest beach city in Southern California (along with Imperial Beach, both in San Diego County).

You might also try Hungtinton Beach, which has more of a traditional suburban layout (larger lots, bigger yards) then other beach areas in Orange County. You might not get a place within walking distance of the beach, but you might find a place with a pool that is a short bikeride or drive away from the sand.

You might also try San Clemente, also in Orange County. That is cheaper then Newport and has larger lots near the beach. There are also more condo/apartment units near that beach, that might have a community pool.

10. Re: Is Newport beach the place for me and my family...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 December 2011, 15:35