We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early January weather for beaches and surfing.

Revelstoke, B.C.
Level Contributor
366 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Early January weather for beaches and surfing.

Planning on being in Newport first week in Jan. Is it possible, and probable,to enjoy hanging out on or near beach walking, riding bikes, surfing with a wetsuit, etc?

Dont plan on suntanning or swimming, but just want to hang out and enjoy beach scene. Want to surf for a couple of hours one day for sure though.

Where I live, we get more snow than you can imagine, and we are experienced skiers and snowboarders, so cold weather is a part of daily life for us up here in the mountains of BC.

So, will we be fine leaving the snow and cold behind for a few days to enjoy your weather?!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,636 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early January weather for beaches and surfing.

It is possible there will be a sunny and warm day or two. It is also possible there will be a rainy and cold day or two. You may experience a combination of weather if here for a while, or you may be unlucky enough to be here when a storm pattern hits bringing rain for a few days. Hopefully, if it does rain, it will only be one or two of our off and on rainy days that brings glorious blue skies after the rain.

Most likely, there won't be much of a "beach scene", but there will be scenic beaches.

Revelstoke, B.C.
Level Contributor
366 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early January weather for beaches and surfing.

Beach scene to us means just that, scenic beaches, perhaps ride some bikes, kick our feet in the water, play in the surf barefooted. Not much of a huge crowd kind of person, so that wont be a problem. I have some surfing experience, and my son wants to try it as well now. He is 15, and we were planning on getting him a lesson. If we do hit bad weather, then I guess my wife gets more time at a mall !!

A rainy and cold day for you guys is probably a not bad day for us and totally bearable!!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early January weather for beaches and surfing.

You will find our January weather to be delightful. Yes expect clouds and even heavy fog -- but you will probably also get windows of gorgeous sun and clear skies.

Us locals love those times of the year when there are few tourists (except for you snowbirds) and we can go down to the beach and enjoy the quiet beauty. A favorite activity for my winter guests has always been a walk on the beach.

You will also have the opportunity to watch world class surfing (those guys never care about cold weather) and beach vollyball (The Olympic stars practice right here on the Southern California Coast).

You can rent beach cruiser bikes and ride for many miles along our beach

concrete "boardwalks." Kite flying is also a favorite activity.

Your son may freeze his toes but at 15 he probably doesn't care. So -- Come on down!

Edited: 29 July 2012, 19:53
Revelstoke, B.C.
Level Contributor
366 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early January weather for beaches and surfing.

LSC, thank you. NIce kind words! I have spent a fair bit of time at Hermosa and Manhattan, and love it. Never been to the beach in the OC before though!!

One day, we will hit the Price is Right too! We will have to be kidless though, as he is too young to get in.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early January weather for beaches and surfing.

Ive surfed many times in Jan, mainly limited by the poor surf and cold watermid 50s to low 60s water temp. Check the surf reports when there, probably find yourself with a small West swell best around 40th st in Newport

New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early January weather for beaches and surfing.

It rained for a day when we were in Newport last October...top news story, rain oh my...it was so funny

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,636 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early January weather for beaches and surfing.

One of the reasons rain in October is big news in Southern California is there also could have been recent wildfires and people living in the burn areas need to know how much rain and what effect it will have on the land (i.e. possible mudslides into homes or blocking roads).

Another reason it is big news is this is a car culture with many commuters who have been used to driving without rain for months and pretty much not expecting to drive in the rain in October. That means possible accidents and the need for reminders of slick roadways.

Occasionally, strong winds with rain will bring down trees. I was in a friends car in early Nov. and we almost went smack dab into a downed tree at night.

Edited: 31 July 2012, 08:26
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early January weather for beaches and surfing.

Redlands is right. Early rains are a serious concern in Southern California and no laughing matter. Our most serious mudslides have occurred after early rains destroyed drought impacted hillsides. Those downed trees are another result of shallow dry roots. And summer and early fall heat have turned oil and tire rubber on the roads into a surface that is like glass in early rains.

Major accidents occurring during early rains often involve visitors, who thought a little rain was "no big deal."

So while an October rain may be normal and of no concern in New York, in Southern California it is most definitely NOT "funny."

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early January weather for beaches and surfing.

As the old joke goes, "Of course we have four seasons in Southern California. It's just that here they are called drought, fire, flood and mud."

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,664 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Early January weather for beaches and surfing.

Surfing is pretty good in January usually and there are spots near the Huntington Beach pier you can rent boards and wetsuits. I am trying to remember if the Newport pier has any rental places nearby but I can't think of any off hand, but that is where I would surf, near Blackie's and 18th-19th are pretty good spots for longboarding and longboarding is what I would recommend for a long boarder.

If you miss the snow too much, we can send you up to one of the local ski resorts for a day of snowboarding or skiing.