We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland day trip from Newport Beach??

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hobart
Level Contributor
137 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Disneyland day trip from Newport Beach??

Hi,

Do you think a day trip to Disneyland is doable from Newport Beach?

I know that Newport isn't THAT far away from Anaheim, but I don't know how bad traffic can get on this drive? We will be doing this drive on a week day in September. How long could it take to and from??

Thoughts??

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,437 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland day trip from Newport Beach??

Sure, some people stay in that area and take a daytrip to Disneyland, so its not uncommon. Its likely to take you about 40 min if you avoid the busy rush hour traffic times.

Weekdays in Sept usually have shorter hours at Disneyland it looks like right now weekday hours for Sept on M-Thurs are 10am till 8pm and 9am till 12pm on Friday. So, you could easily leave at around 9am and avoid the busier traffic to get to Disneyland. If you are comming in on a Friday, that may take longer.

…go.com/calendar/#/default/2013/09

Keep in mind though that it can take about 30 min by the time you park walk to the free tram, wait for it, take the tram into Disneyland, and walk to the Turnstiles that go into either Park so you can add that time into your travel time as well. The least busy time is right when the Park opens, there is the least wait times on most rides that first few hours after opening time.

Also, no Fireworks or Fantasmic shows except on weekends in Sept , Fri,Sat,Sun. What date in Sept you were you thinking of visiting?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland day trip from Newport Beach??

It should be that bad. The basic route, take Newport Blvd, which turns into the 55 freeway, and when they appear, get in the carpool lane (I presume there will be at least 2 people in the vehicle). There is a special carpool lane to the I-5 North Carpool lane. Get off at the special Disney Way Carpool exit, and follow the signs to the Toy Story Parking Lot.

So it is doable, and depending on the time of day, not too long, I would plan for just over an hour to 90 minutes from the start of the drive, until the Toy Story Bus drops you off at the Main Entrance Plaza. Best to get to the park before opening to get some time with short lines before most people show up.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland day trip from Newport Beach??

People who live in Orange County go to DL for the day every single day, it is not a problem at all.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,222 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland day trip from Newport Beach??

It is far more than doable, it is easy. It was my daily commute for many a day.

Depending on the time and day of and from where in Newport it is probably 30 minutes plus parking time.

Edited: 03 August 2013, 00:57
5. Re: Disneyland day trip from Newport Beach??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 05:16