We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newport Beach with children?

Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Newport Beach with children?

We're a family of 4 who are travelling to California in summer 2014. The children will be 13 and 10. We are looking for somewhere to spend about 6 days by the beach in the LA region. We love Laguna, but thought we'd try somewhere else. What is Newport Beach like? My main questions are:

Is there a nice beach?

Can you learn to surf?

We won't have a car, so it is an easy place to walk around to get to restaurants and shops?

Hotel recommendations? We were thinking of the Hyatt Regency, but the hotel really has to be within walking distance of restaurants (see question above)

Is Huntingdon Beach a better choice?

This part of our holiday is purely for relaxing before we head in to LA itself for Universal, etc. Any comments and feedback are gratefully received.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,398 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newport Beach with children?

Where are you from?

I'd highly recommend getting a car. So Cal is very difficult to do without one.

There are lots of nice beaches in Newport and good ones to learn surfing at.

Have you considered renting a house for a week? A house on Balboa Island, followed by the Balboa Peninsula would be my recommendation.

What is your budget, per night?

Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newport Beach with children?

Thanks for your reply. We are from the UK. We didn't fancy a rental as we work full time and so prefer to be in a hotel where everything is done for us. And we would love one with a pool!

Our budget is up to $250 a night. What we like to do is be able to go for a walk in the evening for dinner and then have a stroll afterwards, which is why we would like a hotel close to all amenities.

We have said we would hire a car for a few days. I have family in Mission Viejo and San Juan Capistrano who we would go and visit.

Thanks again for your advice.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,397 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newport Beach with children?

Newport Beach does not have any full service resorts on the Beach or near shops and restaurants, except for the Balboa Bay Club which is above your budget. The Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach (5 minutes from Newport Beach, is beautiful and has 2 pools but during the summer, the base rate is about $325. The Waterfront Hilton Huntington Beach, next door to the Hyatt, is also an excellent full service hotel and its rates are slightly lower. The Hilton and Hyatt are both right across the road from the beach. They can set up surfing lessons for you.

I don't know which Hyatt Regency your are referring to in your post. If it is the Hyatt Regency Newporter on Jamboree Rd., it is not walking distance to the beach. There is a shuttle to take you to Newport Center for dining and shopping.I don't think it has the location or amenities you are looking for.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,398 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newport Beach with children?

You are highly unlikely to find anything in Newport Beach, at or near the beach for that rate which is why I suggested the individual houses.

You are better off in Laguna Beach with your budget.

Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newport Beach with children?

Thanks again for the replies. They've been really helpful. Looking at the hotels, many of them seem to offer deals, which then brings them closer to our budget. But really, the important thing for us is the convenience and being able to walk to places. Or we wouldn't discount getting a shuttle bus in to the town, if there was one.

Perhaps we shouldn't discount renting somewhere, I'll have to speak to my husband about this.

Last time we were there we visited Laguna Beach and really liked it. It had a really nice 'town' feel to it. If we do stay in Newport or Huntington, what we don't want is to be stuck in the middle of nowhere, no matter how nice the hotel.

I really do appreciate the help you are all giving. This is a massive trip for us (we're also covering SF and the parks up there, so the SoCal part is our time to just relax, chill out and enjoy the sun. It is really important that we make the right choice.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,398 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newport Beach with children?

You wouldn't be stuck, but Laguna Beach is probably the most walkable city in Orange County.

Balboa Island is a great spot, but there are no hotels on it. There is a boardwalk that goes around the entire island (about a 2 mile walk) and it is a very popular place for people to stroll in the evening. You can walk to the small downtown area (Marine Ave) for shops and restaurants or ride the ferry across the bay to the Peninsula for more restaurant choices. It is a great family spot. The only thing you would not have is a pool.

http://goo.gl/maps/rbFQ0

http://goo.gl/maps/9XgFj

Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newport Beach with children?

Oh wow, thanks Scottca075. Those images are lovely. Balboa Island does look really fantastic. It's a shame there are no hotels, but I will discuss hiring a condo with my husband as an option. It certainly looks like a very pretty place to stroll around in the evening, which is what we want. Failing that, it sounds like Laguna will be a good option for us too.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newport Beach with children?

There is a small hotel with a pool near the ferry to the Island. It is beachfront, near the pier: The Balboa Inn. It also has a Jacuzzi pool upstairs on a deck. It would be the closest to the island that fits mostly into your requests. It's slightly above your price range, though, but is steps from bike/skate/boat rentals and the beach. Several restaurants are very close, and the Fun Zone rides and arcades are a block away. The island will be close enough to spend time eating and strolling, but the kids will be able to get to the beach more easily.

http://www.balboainn.com/

Edited: 13 August 2013, 15:58
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newport Beach with children?

Thanks for the that suggestion. The Balboa Inn looks lovely. We have so much to think about now. I am pleased I asked the question though as it has opened up other possibilities for us. Thanks to you all for your advice.

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Newport Beach with children?

You might consider using Burr-White Realty. They specialize in beach rentals of all sizes. Even though I live local, I rent a beach house every summer. If the kids don't mind sharing a room (two twin beds), here is a suggestion from Burr-White's website:

http://burrwhite.com/Unit/Details/8467

I've stayed in this lower unit and it is very nice, all updated. It is 4 houses from the beach and a short walk to the Newport Pier area.

Here is a search I did for 2 bedrooms/1 bath in Newport with Burr-White, most in your price range:

burrwhite.com/site/…