We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Suggestions

Lighthouse Point...
Level Contributor
977 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Suggestions

We will be staying at The Island Hotel at the beginning of January and would love to have some suggestions on where to eat.

Specifically:

1) any restaurants within walking distance or a short cab ride?

2) any suggestions for breakfast spots?

3) suggestions for a nice dinner that we can make reservations at

Any and all recommendations wanted!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Suggestions

What kind of food do you like? Nearby choices are endless. There is the classic prime rib house, 5 Crowns in Corona del Mar, Roy's in Fashion Island, The Bungalow in CDM, The Quiet Woman in CDM, Bamboo Bistro, The Ritz, Flemings, True Food and Pascals in Fashion Island.

Zinc Cafe, Ruby's Diner and Wilma's Patio for breakfast.

Above is just part of a long list. You are surrounded by good food.

My personal favorite of the above is Roy's. roysrestaurant.com/locations/ca/newport_beac…

Lighthouse Point...
Level Contributor
977 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Suggestions

Wow glad to hear so much nearby-I will start checking out menus.

We really like fresh and local and on the healthier side, if available. Seafood is also a favorite. Looking for quality above quantity.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,495 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Suggestions

Are you coming for the BCS game?

Cats gave a great list, Roy's is the best of that bunch for seafood. Further away but worth looking at is Newport Landing. If I cabbed to it I would have the cab take me to the Balboa Island Ferry and drop me off, then take the ferry to the restaurant.

For breakfast, Ruby's and Panini Cafe are walkable, Zinc Cafe is a bit more ambitious as is Wilma's Patio.

http://goo.gl/maps/4xcgC

http://goo.gl/maps/RdKbu

http://goo.gl/maps/Yywb8

Wilma's Patio is on Balboa Island and has several nice spots to eat including Amelia's and Basilic.

Also in Corona del Mar are The Side Door Gastropub, Crow Bar & Kitchen, Rothschild and The Summer House.

Lighthouse Point...
Level Contributor
977 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Suggestions

Thank you!

I am making a list and checking it twice! I want to be sure we have dinner reservations in place at the very least.

Yes, we are FSU fans and will be in town January 4-7. Flying into LAX-do you think we should rent a car?

Lighthouse Point...
Level Contributor
977 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Suggestions

How about Haute Cake Cafe for breakfast?

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Suggestions

Renting a car will expand your options greatly. Haute Cake Cafe is a good 15 minute drive from where you are staying. It gets mixed reviews among locals who mostly fault it for bad service. There are many options closer to your hotel.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,989 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Suggestions

Definitely rent a car. How are you getting to the game? Your hotel is approx 55-60 miles from the Rose Bowl stadium and about 45 miles from LAX

LA
Level Contributor
10,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Suggestions

We like Gulfstream for seafood

You really really need to rent a car. This isn't a place where walking gets you very far.

Edited: 11 December 2013, 21:42
Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
327 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Suggestions

Agreed with Gulfstream for Seafood: hillstone.com/#/restaurants/gulfstream/. You will definitely want a reservation for Gulfstream. Blue Water Grill is another option: http://www.bluewatergrill.com The plus of Blue Water is that it's on the water.

True Food Kitchen is an easy walk and healthy and tasty: www.foxrc.com/restaurants/true-food-kitchen/

I like Haute Cakes for breakfast. Food will be tasty, but service can be spotty. Also, half of the seating is outdoors, so if the weather's bad, you may have trouble getting an indoor table. For breakfast, I also like Pain Du Monde and Pain Quotidien in Fashion Island (close to your hotel). I really wish that we had more good breakfast spots in Newport. I'm not much of a fan of Ruby's for breakfast, but if you like diner food, you'll probably be happy.

The Grill at Pelican Hill has a lovely sunset view (sunset will be early, but you'll be on east coast time) and is a lovely restaurant with good food: www.pelicanhill.com/dining/pelican-grill/

Another choice for your nice meal is Juliette: http://www.juliettenb.com

I haven't yet been, but we have two new restaurants that you will easily be able to walk to. Red O, which is fancy Mexican in a lovely space (I walked in when I couldn't get a reservation and still couldn't get a table, but was glad to get a look). I've heard good things. Also, Fig & Olive. I'd ask the concierge to help with reservations, which are also available on Open Table, I think.

I haven't eaten there in a while, but, in the past, the food at The Island Hotel's restaurant was always good.

Have a great time!

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
327 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Suggestions

One more thing: rent a car for getting around Newport, but I don't recommend driving yourself to the Rose Bowl. You'll have a way better time if you have a driver or take a game bus (I'm sure FSU will have many options available). The Rose Bowl can be tricky with parking. If you do drive up, park in Pasadena and get a shuttle up to the stadium.