We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kosher food?

London
Level Contributor
226 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Kosher food?

Are there any kosher restaurants or anywhere I can get kosher food close to Pelican Hill? I'm not desperate for it, but it would be nice to give the kids a burger once in a while.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,628 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kosher food?

I can't think of any kosher restaurants nearby, but Gelson's Market is Jewish owned and they have lots of kosher foods, but I don't think their deli keeps kosher.

Despite a large Jewish population in the area, there are not the kosher restaurants near by that Los Angeles has.

London
Level Contributor
226 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kosher food?

Thanks Scott. I'll check out Gelson's.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kosher food?

There is a large Jewish population but few follow Kosher dietary rules. Gelson's in Newport Beach does offer many kosher meat products. Their web site does advertise Kosher offerings in the deli so I would give them a call. You may be able to special order items that aren't always displayed in the deli. https://www.gelsons.com/shop/SD/index.asp Gelsons is a beautiful market and a great resource for whatever groceries you need. (OK it's pricey -- but very impressive.)

Here is a list of Kosher markets and restaurants from OC Jewish LIfe ocjewishlife.com/site/…

I've never tried any of them so I can't vouch for their quality or prices.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,409 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kosher food?

It really depends.... what level of Kashrut do you observe?

There are a number of places I could help you with but I would first need to know what you observe.

Also, are you driving?

Dr. Z

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,149 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kosher food?

I am sure there are closer places in LA but IF you get down to the San Diego area at all the Ralphs grocery store at 8657 Villa la jolla drive(see map)

http://goo.gl/maps/CsF8s

Has a complete kosher meat/food/deli section that closes on Saturday and is strict enough for our local Orthodox Synagogue and nearby Chabad synagogue to use.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,409 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kosher food?

JoannaL -

The Ralphs in La Jolla is a good choice but it's really not too close to where you will be.

There is a Ralph's in Newport Beach but unfortunately they do not have the same type of kosher section.

Good suggestion by Riff though if you will be in that area.....

London
Level Contributor
226 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kosher food?

Thanks everyone.

We are happy eating in regular restaurants and just stick to fish or vegetarian food. If I can find some sliced meat at Gelsons or Ralph's to make the kids a sandwich they will be happy. If there is somewhere to get a burger or a hot dog that would be even better. But otherwise they will be fine on mostly pizza and pasta for a week.

We will have a car.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 10:52
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,628 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kosher food?

Do you mean a kosher hamburger from a place that doesn't have cheese, or just a good burger/hot dog place?

For just burgers, Ruby's Diner in Corona del Mar, has great burgers.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,409 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kosher food?

If you go North out of the Pelican , on Newport Coast Dr, there is a deli there called Mustard Deli. They should have enough there to please the family.

http://www.mustardcafe.com/

If you go South out of the Pelican, and then go north on the Coast Hwy, there is a whole string of restaurants in Corona Del Mar. This is also where the Ruby's Diner is that Scottca mentioned.

London
Level Contributor
226 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kosher food?

Thanks.

Scott, I meant somewhere that uses kosher meat, as opposed to a burger without cheese. But we can manage without.