We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours, Boat rentals and general Bar/Restaurant info

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Topic
Tours, Boat rentals and general Bar/Restaurant info

Hi there. Myself and my girlfriend are staying in Fountain Valley for 9 days in July and plan on spending a few days and/or nights in and around Newport Beach. We wondered if we can get some advice on whether these are good choices and who, in the case of the tours and boat hire, is best to go with. Here goes...

* Sea Lion cruise

* Whale watching cruise

* Electric boat rental (how long should we hire one for and which style do you recommend?)

Any other ideas very much welcome.

Also, could we get some recommendations on which restaurants would be nice to visit both in the afternoon and at night. We're pretty open to all types of food but we aren't on a particularly large budget so any 5 star or mega expensive place is probably beyond us!

Finally, we are planning on a weekend evening in NB and wondered which bars would suit us best. We are both in our late twenties.

Thanks a lot

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Tours, Boat rentals and general Bar/Restaurant info

Thanks for the advice and info so far everyone. Could you let me know the deal for tipping for food/drinks etc? We don't really 'do' tips in the UK but don't want to offend/upset anybody on our stay if we haven't followed correct procedures!

New York
Level Contributor
949 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tours, Boat rentals and general Bar/Restaurant info

Rusty Pelican good food and service

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,886 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tours, Boat rentals and general Bar/Restaurant info

Here is a good article on tipping.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-s606/United-Stat…

I generally tip 20% on restaurant meals. If I am drinking at the bar I tend to tip a dollar or two per drink.

14. Re: Tours, Boat rentals and general Bar/Restaurant info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 05:17