We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten free dining for Celiac

Boise, ID
Level Contributor
413 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Gluten free dining for Celiac

We have been to Newport Beach several times and have loved it. My 8 yr old daughter was recently diagnosed with severe Celiac disease and now we have to be very careful about her not eating gluten (even trace amounts). This makes vacationing pretty stressful. Often restaurants have a gluten free menu -- but there is a crazy amount of cross contamination going on in the kitchen. Example -- pizza places who sell GF pizzas are made along side regular pizzas with flour getting kicked up everywhere, same utensils and pans are used, which makes the GF items not really GF.

I searched the forum and didn't see any posts about gluten free/celiac friendly restaurants. I would love to hear if anyone has had positive dining experiences while ordering gluten free. If you know of any gluten free bakeries and establishments, that would be fabulous.

thanks so much!

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
649 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten free dining for Celiac

118 degrees is a raw food restaurant in nearby Costa Mesa. They're completely wheat free (though I think they might use a bit of grain), and generally allergy-friendly (soy-free, dairy-free). Their website is 118degrees.com

I belonged to a nation-wide food allergy internet community for awhile when first diagnosed (my allergy is to soy), and the consensus seemed to be that a hotel room with kitchen (or condo rental) would make things a lot easier. I found this to be very true in my own life. You can find Whole Foods (high-end grocery store) at Fashion Island now, and they have lots of GF choices.

Good luck!

M D
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten free dining for Celiac

The whole foods in fashion island is not a bad place for dine-in as well. Same with mothers market in costa mesa, and their cafe. I love gluten, so I may be completely naive, but I would expect avanti cafe and seabirds kitchen to be more sensitive than average when they say "gf" on thier menus.

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
649 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten free dining for Celiac

I just remembered there's a GF bakery in Fountain Valley. Their website is sensitivesweets.com

Boise, ID
Level Contributor
413 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten free dining for Celiac

Awesome, thank you for the ideas and suggestions!

JMWinCA -- I agree, I think a condo is the way to go for our family. It will be easier to prepare most of our meals there, but good to know there are some options to go out :)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,474 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten free dining for Celiac

We traveled for many years with an allergic and Type 1 diabetic kid (not celiac disease tho) and know how difficult it is to find places to eat. We ended up usually getting a suite hotel or condo/vacation rental so we could cook meals (especially for pizzas and quesadillas his favorites) Cross contamination can and does happen in the mainstream restaurants that also serve gluten free. My usual go to site www.allergyeats.com is a great resource.

PF Changs has a huge menu, and most Mexican restaurants have corn tortillas for tacos.

True Food Kitchen www.truefoodkitchen.com

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gluten free dining for Celiac

<<which makes the GF items not really GF.>>

There is a wide range of people who need to eat gluten free. Many can handle the bit of cross contamination that occurs in a normal restaurant. If your child cannot then you will have to look for specifically gluten free restaurants. But don't tar those restaurants that attempt to accommodate a wide range of customers as "not really GF." They don't try to say they are.

Boise, ID
Level Contributor
413 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gluten free dining for Celiac

WhiteDahlia -- umm, ok.

That is exactly why I posted here -- to see if others had positive experiences eating gluten free. And yes, the FDA, will be cracking down this fall on how food manufacturers and restaurants label things Gluten Free. I agree, there is a difference between people who have Celiac disease and people who have mild sensitivities. And my experience is yes, many restaurants do say they are gluten free and don't understand the process of proper food prep and handling in order to really be gluten free.

Celiac is an autoimmune disease that is triggered when eating even trace amounts of gluten. My daughter has had her share of intense vomiting, etc. As a mother, I do all I can to find out places she can eat. I don't get angry at restaurants that cannot accommodate her. I understand that. I am just trying to find places that are able to accommodate her.

Thank you to the rest of the people on this board who have posted helpful comments!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gluten free dining for Celiac

I have a number of friends who are gluten intolerant but do not have to eat in a 100% gluten fee restaurant.

I don't think it's improper to point that out for the lurkers

I'm sorry if you found my post "intolerable!"

I hope the FDA does not get involved because there is such a wide range of the problem. Would be too bad to make the worst scenario for everyone.

Boise, ID
Level Contributor
413 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gluten free dining for Celiac

^^Clearly lurkers would see I am referring specifically to a child who has Celiac, and not a mild sensitivity. And the FDA will have them clearly label if it is safe for Celiac or if it is ok for gluten intolerant. Your gluten intolerant friends won't be harmed with the new labeling.

It is akin to labeling something "nut free" if there are still traces of nuts in a product. They would never due that. Same should be with gluten.

That isn't why I came to this board. I just simply wanted some suggestions of GF places to eat . . .

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,474 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gluten free dining for Celiac

Yes White Dahlia but this really isn't something that we need to argue about, I think time to move on. This mother has a child with a severe disease, not an intolerance, diet plan or a preference. I'm sure "lurkers" can read and understand the difference. Until you have walked a mile in someone's shoes, there is no way to understand how difficult it is for a parent of a child with a chronic and possibly deadly illness. I would gladly have just one day without my son having Type 1 diabetes! Now back to helping people with their travels.......

Edited: 27 June 2014, 00:10