We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horse riding and mountain biking for experienced riders

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Horse riding and mountain biking for experienced riders

Travelling to LA in July. My husband and I are both experienced horse and mountain bike riders who would like to take advantage of our teenagers being in Disneyland and find some good horse riding and mountain biking nearby. We are staying at Newport beach. Any suggestions?. Have seen a few horse riding places online with mixed reviews, and didn't appear to cater for experienced riders. Haven't yet investigated the mountain biking but would be looking for a centre that takes out small groups with a guide.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horse riding and mountain biking for experienced riders

Horseback riding opportunities in urban Orange County are quite limited. While there are small equestrian centers, like the one we have in Huntington Beach, they offer little more than a short trail experience. You will probably find better opportunities in the San Bernardino Mountains, around Big Beach and Arrowhead, about a 2 hour drive from Anaheim.

You might want to visit the San Bernardino County TA pages for more information.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horse riding and mountain biking for experienced riders

Thanks for that information. Will look into the possibility of travelling further afield :)

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horse riding and mountain biking for experienced riders

Regarding Mountain Biking...

You might try renting from http://www.lagunabeachcyclery.com/ in Laguna Beach. I've heard they rent real mountain bikes that you can take on more than just a dirt road. There are many nice trails with ocean views within a few miles of their shop. www.mountainbikebill.com/ElMoroCanyon.htm

Also - crystalcovestatepark.com/opportunities/ccsp_…

If you're experienced, you might ask them about group rides that may happen while you're here. I'd assume that any guided rides may be for less experienced riders.

Alternatively, check out REI's schedule to see if they have something that might work for you. http://www.rei.com/stores/tustin.html

If you're OK with a more leisurely ride, you can rent beach cruisers in Newport and ride to Huntington along the strand. All but about 1/2 miles is would have an ocean view. This is not a serious ride though - just a way to check out the local sights.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,802 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horse riding and mountain biking for experienced riders

I agree with Tim about Laguna Beach being your best bet for mountain bike riding. Top of the World in Laguna is great.

As to horseback riding I am not sure a lot of companies are going to let you take horses out onto a trail just because you say you are experienced riders. A ride with a guide might be your only option.

The best spots are in Orange County's back country like Irvine Park, Trabuco Canyon and south in the San Juan Capistrano area that has a lot of equestrian trails.

irvineparkrailroad.com/content/country-trail…

www.santiagoequestriancenter.com/index.htm

http://ortegaequestriancenter.com/

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horse riding and mountain biking for experienced riders

Thank you. All sounds good. Will check it out

6. Re: Horse riding and mountain biking for experienced riders

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 05:17