We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into OAK for a visit to San Fran on a budget

Springfield, IL
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into OAK for a visit to San Fran on a budget

Is there any suggested nice hotels outside of San Fran but close enough to take the BART? We are going to have a day and a half to tour San Fran and need some ideas besides Alcatraz and cable cars to check out. We are flying in at noon on Sunday to OAK. Ive looked at several decent places to stay but all state there is little to do (restaurants/ bars/ shopping) if you stay in Oakland area. Although hotels are nicely priced and look clean and safe. Is there a small town that again is safe that has a hotel and things to do around them that isn't $200 bucks? Is the BART system safe to use? We are thinking about not renting a car if transportation is available by other safe and reliable means. Not looking for anything "cheap" but a decently priced in the $90-100 range? Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into OAK for a visit to San Fran on a budget

My advice is that if you have a day and a half to tour San Francisco, you want to be in San Francisco, not Oakland.

You can get hotels there under $200 (try the Chancellor, right on Union Square, the Cartwright near Union Square on Sutter, the Adagio on Geary, etc.) Do some googling on San Francisco Hotels near Union Square and then get back to us so that we can comment on what you find. Even if you can't find something at $90-$100, spending a little more will make your visit so much less hassle.

BART is safe. Don't rent a car, it will be in your way....parking, etc.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Sutter
Sutter
California
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into OAK for a visit to San Fran on a budget

I completely agree with the above poster. Also, I want to point out that BART isn't free. It will cost you over $10 R.T. for two people to commute into San Francisco from Oakland, and if you add the value of your vacation time, it makes no sense to stay in Oakland or any East Bay location for visiting San Francisco.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Springfield, IL
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into OAK for a visit to San Fran on a budget

Thanks for the tips. Never been out West before so I appreciate all the info I can get. Will look into the hotels in San Francisco and post a note when I choose. Thanks for the tip on the BART. Still way cheaper than a car ie. parking and navigating the streets of the city. I appreciate it! =)

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
4. Re: Flying into OAK for a visit to San Fran on a budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 05:27