We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic after a Oakland Raiders game

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
8 posts
Save Topic
Traffic after a Oakland Raiders game

Finally coming to see my first Raider home game on opening day this year. Would like to know my fastest option of getting to any airport, SF or Oak. We are spending the weekend in Las Vegas and would love to catch the earliest flight possible back to LV.

I see Oakland airport is fairly close but my experience with football games is that traffic is a mess and not sure how the shuttle to the airport is.

Second option is to take BART to SF airport. How busy does it get after a game. Will we have to wait a few trains?

Last option is to drive. Don't really want to rent a car since the airports are so close. It is an option if you guys think it could be the quickest way but I doubt it.

Thanks

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,081 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic after a Oakland Raiders game

I think the quickest is to take the shuttle (AirBART) from the Coliseum BART station to OAK, $3.00 exact change. BART gets very busy immediately after a game.

Toronto
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic after a Oakland Raiders game

Does anyone know what type of traffic to expect? AirBART looks fine but any idea how long the ride takes right after the game.

Any other modes of transportation that could get me to the airport quickly? Taxi, shuttle, whatever. Don't really care about cost. Just trying to see if I can make the earlier flight.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic after a Oakland Raiders game

OAK is close by and easy to get to. AirBART won't get mixed up in most of the post-game traffic because it operates along Hegenberger Road and not any of the freeway on- or off-ramps.

Depending upon when exactly the Oakland Airport Connector opens, there is a chance that AirBART will be replaced by it by the time you visit. The OAC will run from the Coliseum BART Station to OAK on an aerial trackway with no intermediate stops, and it would not be affected by traffic at all.

FYI, the AirBART shuttle runs every 10 minutes and takes 12 minutes end-to-end under normal conditions. Perhaps add a minute or two since it will be busy in the area at the time you travel. The OAC will take 8 minutes end-to-end and will run as frequently as AirBART if not more so.

Toronto
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic after a Oakland Raiders game

How safe would it be walking along, around Hegenberger Road after the game? If it gets really congested I was thinking of walking out of the traffic along Hegenberger Road to the nearby hotels where I can hopefully catch a cab?

Maybe even walk the whole way to the airport but am not sure about how safe the area is.

BTW we will be there the 14 of September so I don't think the connection will be running yet.

Edited: 16 August 2014, 00:04
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic after a Oakland Raiders game

You got good advice to take AirBART. There will be crowds walking to the BART station, but Hegenberger Road will be relatively OK. The main hiccup is that they time the lights on Hegenberger to let cars emptying from the stadium lot out to the freeway. So the red light on Coliseum Way and Hegenberger might be longer than usual.

BUT -- a CAB will go through the same roads as AirBART. And the walk to the hotel will actually PASS the AirBART station along the way. Plus the type of hotels in the area typically do NOT have cabs just waiting around. You can see for yourself and make your own decision. https://goo.gl/maps/RR6Tc

Toronto
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic after a Oakland Raiders game

Thanks for that. So there shouldn't be any significant delays on Hegenberger? I was worried about that area where people will be exiting the Coliseum and getting onto Hegenberger so they can get on the freeway.

I just remember leaving a Raiders game in Buffalo a while back and we got stuck for over an hour in one spot. Just trying to avoid long delays so we can get our flight.

One last thing, I notice there is a bus that also goes to the airport. Any chance it stops on Hegenberger somewhere?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic after a Oakland Raiders game

First, if a perfect storm happens, all bets are off.. as people who went to Candlestick earlier this week can attest. sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Why-drive-to-McCa… And what I say here is worth what you pay for it, I guess.

In general, the police direct traffic on Hegenberger and time the lights so that traffic pouring out of the parking lot can make their way to the freeway. That's good and bad. As I mentioned, it's bad that the red light on Hegenberger will be extra long. But It's good in that they do manage traffic ill stop traffic coming out of the parking lot to allow for traffic from BART to the airport to flow. So getting stuck for one hour should not happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if it'll take 60 minutes from the end of the game till you'r at OAK airport. But if it takes more than 2 hours, I'll be very surprised.

Besides the AirBART, the 73 bus also goes to the airport via Hegenberger . So if you walk out via the parking lot onto Hegenberger, http://goo.gl/LkC5Fq you can catch that bus. The 73 costs $2.10, but (unlike the AirBART bus) makes all local stops on Hegenberger so it will take a little longer to make it to OAK airport. But the route is essentially very similar.

Edited: 17 August 2014, 00:52
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic after a Oakland Raiders game

And given you're exploring all your options, you should be familiar with the schedules for AirBART, which leaves every 10 minutes http://www.bart.gov/guide/airport/inbound_oak and compare that with the schedule for the 73 bus too. …511.org/accessible/schedules/detail.aspx…

Silicon Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic after a Oakland Raiders game

AirBART is the way to go. Just allow plenty of time to make your flight. After spending 4 hours at a football game, don't sweat over an hour of traffic. Just relax and be glad you are not driving.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,473 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic after a Oakland Raiders game

Don't out smart yourself and try to cut things too close. I've been on a lot of flights out of OAK after Raider games and everyone seems to get to the airport okay after the games using AirBART.