We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Occidental to San Rafael

Which Occidental hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Roermond, The...
Level Contributor
242 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Occidental to San Rafael

On June 14, we'll be travelling from Occidental to San Rafael, and we want to be in San Rafael around 3pm.

Looking at the map, we could either drive via Point Reyes and explore that area, or through Sonoma County to see the vineyards. As we're coming from the north and will be travelling along the coast all the way from Newport, I would like to know if Point Reyes has new things to see, or whether we have most likely seen it all on the way south.

If we would take a route through Sonoma County, what would be interesting things to do out of the car so that we are not just driving all the time? Any nice walks or towns in the area? Where would the most scenic drive be? As we're driving, we're not looking to do any wine tasting.

Thanks for your help once again :)

6 replies to this topic
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,591 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Occidental to San Rafael

>>> would like to know if Point Reyes has new things to see, or whether we have most likely seen it all on the way south.<<<

You DO mean Point Reyes National Seashore, don't you? I don't think that there is anything "new" to see there, but I also doubt if you have "seen it all".

Point Reyes National Seashore is 65,300 acres.

www.nps.gov/pore/planyourvisit/index.htm

I have made many visits there and have not seen it all. It needs a couple of days just to make a dent.

Anyway, your idea of Sonoma County has merit.

Here are directions for a day trip from San Francisco which will help you do that. Since you will be coming from Occidental, go to Bodega Bay and pick up the narrative of the trip when it gets to Bodega Bay and follow it from there.

It does go up the coast for 10 miles, where you have already been, I think, but then it goes inland and gives you an opportunity to visit a Redwood State Park (at Guerneville). It ends by driving through the Sonoma Valley and its vineyards and wineries with a vineyard tour suggestion, and then the historic town of Sonoma, which has interesting shops and wine tasting venues and good restaurants. Sonoma is only a 45 minute drive to the Golden Gate Bridge.

Try it, you'll like it.

Edited: 23 April 2013, 00:20
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,591 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Occidental to San Rafael

Sorry, just noticed that you are wanting to end up in San Rafael, not San Francisco. Then you will even closer to your destination if you take the Sonoma route.

We just returned from a trip to the Netherlands and Belgium and enjoyed it very much, even though it snowed on us !! :~)

Have a good trip.

Edited: 23 April 2013, 00:24
Roermond, The...
Level Contributor
242 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Occidental to San Rafael

Yes, I do mean the national seashore, and I didn't mean to imply that I thought we could see it all in 2 hours. I was just wondering if scenerywise it would give us many views or walks very unlike anything we're likely to see on the way there, when coming from Newport.

Thanks for the idea on Sonoma County! I'm not sure where I could find the directions though.. Am I overlooking something in your post?

I'm glad you enjoyed the Netherlands and Belgium! :) Yes, we had more snow than usual this year, and it also snowed much later in the year than it normally does. I hope you were still able to do all you wanted over here :)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,591 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Occidental to San Rafael

Oops, sorry, here is the link to the day trip.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c139373/San-Fr…

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,199 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Occidental to San Rafael

For going out to Point Reyes, you might want to make that decision when you are in Occidental. Most days in June are pretty foggy on the coast but if you do get a nice day, going out to the lighthouse would be a great choice. The views from there are among the best anywhere on the California coast.

Roermond, The...
Level Contributor
242 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Occidental to San Rafael

Yes, I think we'll decide on what to do once we're in Occidental and know what the weather will be like and what we most feel like doing on that day. But I appreciate the info, I like to have an idea of the possibilities and browse websites, so that once we're there we'll just be able to do one or the other :)

Reply to: Occidental to San Rafael
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Occidental
More Occidental Topics