We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
tn
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
amtrak / oceanside pier / oceanside sailing/ captain dave

also i am considering the coaster from oceanside to san diego or old town stops- is there anythign close to explore to either of those stops? how woudl i get there from the coaster? is this like a train?

i will also explore oceanside pier. any must do restaurants or bars, specifically to sit outside adn enjoy the water- can be child friendly, but don't have to be.

and finally, any expierience with oceanside sailing? is captain dave just so much better?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: amtrak / oceanside pier / oceanside sailing/ captain dave

Yes, the Old Town historical area, shops and restaurants are very close to the Old Town station.

The San Diego (downtown) station is fairly close to many downtown attractions, shops and restaurants.

The Coaster is merely a local train running on the same route as Amtrak. You can take either Coaster or Amtrak to San Diego, but most Amtrak trains do not stop at Old Town, while all Coaster trains do. Amtrak tickets are more costly than Coaster tickets. Coaster tickets are sold by vending machines, Amtrak tickets are sold in the station by traditional ticket clerks.

Downtown/Pier of Oceanside does have some shops and restaurants, but IMO, not that great.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,170 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: amtrak / oceanside pier / oceanside sailing/ captain dave

The only restaurant I know on the Oceanside pier is Ruby's which is definitely child friendly. It has an old fashioned 50s diner theme.

There is a lot to explore in Old Town AND in downtown SanDiego. There is also a hop on hop off bus tour you can take from either place. See:www.trolleytours.com

San Diego...
Level Contributor
136 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: amtrak / oceanside pier / oceanside sailing/ captain dave

Must try the "new" Harney's Sushi near the Pier and Train Station. This is San Diego and LA caliber food and atmosphere in Oceanside. We had lunch for two people for under $20 too!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
136 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: amtrak / oceanside pier / oceanside sailing/ captain dave

I forgot here to recommend you speak with George at oceansidesailing.com Tell him Melinda from Better Vacation Rentals sent you and I know he'll take extra special care. He offers sailing courses, sunset sails, and now on a non sailing vessel: murder mystery cruises. Also a good member of the local community.

5. Re: amtrak / oceanside pier / oceanside sailing/ captain dave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 18:17