We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation preference-Encinitas or Oceanside?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation preference-Encinitas or Oceanside?

I am planning a vacation for a week in February. I'm looking for some advice on what place would be better-Encinitas or Oceanside. Will be staying with my extended family in a house on the beach and will be visiting La Jolla and San Diego and other possible day trips. We're not really chain store or mall people and like arty shops and unique restaurants as well as nice outdoor places and activities. Appreciate anyone who can provide me with their preference and why. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,697 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation preference-Encinitas or Oceanside?

Encinitas has more of what you describe! It is also closer to the rest of the activities in San Diego.

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas
Encinitas
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
San Diego
Level Contributor
124 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation preference-Encinitas or Oceanside?

As riffsmom said, Encinitas seems better for you. I lived in Encinitas for over 20 years and hardly ever even went to Oceanside.

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas
Encinitas
California
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
Oceanside, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation preference-Encinitas or Oceanside?

Both places are pretty much what you described. Oceanside has some great vaction rentals on wide sandy beaches. There's a laid back surf vibe and easy to feel apart of the community. There are new restaurants along with local hideouts like Beach Break Cafe and Hill street Cafe. Oceanside has the harbor with unlimited outdoor recreation; paddle boarding, kayaking, sailing. With a small harbor, you're in the Ocean in 5 minutes. It's stress free. We also offer bike trails. The train is right down town, walking distances from many of the beach rentals and an easy trip downtown San Diego. Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
Beach Break Cafe
Beach Break Cafe
711 Reviews
Oceanside, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation preference-Encinitas or Oceanside?

Thanks for the feedback. We've had some additional replies pointing us in the direction of Encinitas so it looks like we will be staying there. If anyone has any great restaurants or places that aren't to be missed I'd love to have your feedback. Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas
Encinitas
California
So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation preference-Encinitas or Oceanside?

No question- Encinitas by a landslide. Oceanside is not that desirable.

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas
Encinitas
California
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation preference-Encinitas or Oceanside?

I strongly disagree, in fact, I am spending next weekend in the Oceanside Harbor/Carlsbad area.

There are plenty of unique shops, mainly along or near the Coast Highway in the Oceanside/Carlsbad area, especially near the Oceanside Pier.

Plus the only main harbor area in "North County" is Oceanside, along with the only pier (next closest Public Pier is in Pacific Beach, though there is a private pier in La Jolla (run by Scripps).

We are staying at the Days Inn Oceanside Harbor location, mainly due to a great deal we got. But the Days Inn is one of the best in the chain.

http://www.oceansidedaysinn.com/

The Encinitas area is also very nice, but not sure why the "hate" for the Oceanside area.

I spent by High School years in Carlsbad, and enjoyed both areas.

www.oceansidechamber.com/visitor/index.asp

http://visitcarlsbad.com/

Mentioned in this post
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
Oceanside Pier
Oceanside Pier
1,692 Reviews
Oceanside, CA
Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach
1,039 Reviews
San Diego, CA
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
Encinitas
Encinitas
California
So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation preference-Encinitas or Oceanside?

No one expressed 'hate' for Oceanside. They gave an 'opinion' which yours seem to be rude at times. I was under the impression being an 'expert' a little diplomacy was required.

If someone asks 'should I stay in San Francisco or Oakland" for vacation

I'll say hands down - San Francisco.

It's simple. It's called geographically desirable.

Obviously, some have completely different style and taste of travel than you.

GASP!

Hope you have a great trip and gets lots of 'chill' time.

Mentioned in this post
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Oakland
Oakland
California
Bakersfield
Level Contributor
491 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation preference-Encinitas or Oceanside?

We go to Carlsbad every year. This year we drove through Oceanside and I can say it is a bit rougher crowd. We have driven the beach south and Encinitas seemed better. We really love Carlsbad and the community. We feel safe there.

Mentioned in this post
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
Encinitas
Encinitas
California
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation preference-Encinitas or Oceanside?

You might enjoy watching the pooches play in the surf at the "dog beach" a few miles south, just west of Del Mar Race Track. The Quail Canyon Botanical Gardens are beautiful in all seasons (Encinitas).

I really like the food at "I Trulli" but their "no reservations" policy on weekends can be a real pain. Probably not as much of an issue in the winter when things are quieter. Solana Beach a few miles south too) has a number of interesting housewares and design shops in the "Cedros" area just off the coast highway.

Mentioned in this post
Del Mar Race Track
Del Mar Race Track
466 Reviews
Del Mar, CA
Solana Beach
Solana Beach
California
San Diego...
Level Contributor
136 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation preference-Encinitas or Oceanside?

I've got to weigh in here even though the OP has already made a choice. I live in Encinitas and have a vacation rental in Oceanside. If I were coming from out of town I'd recommend Oceanside hands down because it has more places to stay with easy access to the beach, a better beach for guests, plus the harbor and strand. I love my hometown for living, but for a true SoCal beach vacation, Oceanside would win hands down. Our places in Encinitas just don't have that flat access to the sand and water, and though those of us who live here are used to it, people from away want to be right there. PS Solana beach does not have reasonable access to good beaches at all for guests.

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas
Encinitas
California
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
Solana Beach
Solana Beach
California
Get answers to your questions about Oceanside