We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

b&b preferences?

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,040 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
b&b preferences?

Hi All,

New to this forum.

My husband and I are spending a few weeks in CA (leaving a week from today!) and are still in the process of making some reservations for a few nights.

I read a really nice post about Pacific Grove, so we're seriously considering staying in PC for 2-3 nights vs. Monterey or Carmel. Pros and cons of choosing PC over the other two towns?

Also, we're looking at Inn at 213 Seventeen Mile Drive and the Anton Inn. Any feelings about either of these? Which has a better location? Better breakfast? Overall better accommodations? Any other inns we should be considering?

Thanks!!!

Pooz

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: b&b preferences?

I think that you would enjoy both PG and Carmel. PG is quieter--fewer shops, but many excellent restaurants, It has an extensive coastline that is gorgeous, and you can walk the length of it. From PG you can walk to Cannery Row and the aquarium along the recreation trail.

I've heard good things about the Inn at 17-Mile Dr., and I know that Anton Inn was recently renovated, but I haven't heard anything as yet. But both are a good long walk from downtown (approx. 10-14 blocks), although the location is fine. Have you looked at any of the B&Bs that are closer to the water: Seven Gables Inn, Green Gables Inn, Old St, Angela Inn? The first two are directly across from the water and have great views. Be sure to read all the reviews of the inns here on trip advisor. These inns are closer to restaurants and closer to Cannery Row. Walking to Cannery Row from the two you're considering would be a bit of a hike. You could always drive partway and park for free close to the recreation trail and then walk the rest of the way.

Carmel is also a beautiful town with a beautiful, white-sand beach. It is chock-full of shops, galleries and restaurants if you want a lot of that kind of activity. There are many nice B&Bs: Carmel Wayfarer Inn, Vagabond's House Inn, Seaview Inn. The only disadvantage of Carmel is that if you plan to go to the aquarium, you'll have to drive there. But around here, everything is so close together, we're talking 15 minutes at most. You'll pay for parking but it's not so bad.

If you want a quieter place to stay, to stay near the water and to be able to walk to other places, then PG. If you want a lot of options for shopping and a somewhat more upscale feel, then Carmel. You really can't go wrong with either town.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,040 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: b&b preferences?

Thank you sooooo much. That's some incredibly helpful information you've provided. I'll look at those other PG inns you suggested. And, thanks for giving us an idea of walking distances. We hope to do as much of this vacation on foot (gas prices and to stay in shape - I'm sure we'll be eating too well in CA for the two weeks we're there), so your guidance in that respect was really super.

Thanks, again!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: b&b preferences?

My pleasure! If you narrow down your choices of where to stay and would like any other info, just let me know. Have fun!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,040 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: b&b preferences?

I just sent an email to Old St. Angela Inn to find out availability. The Green Gables has nothing available for the nights we'll be there. And, the Seven Gables looks to be a little more $$ than we're looking to spend. But, it might be worth a phone call to all three, to see if their phone rates differ than what they're posting on their websites. I do very much like the idea of staying at an inn that's within walking distance of everything - a definite check against the two inns I was originally considering.

Thanks, again!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: b&b preferences?

Hi again. Here is a link to a recent trip report by someone who stayed at Old St. Angela. You might find it helpful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32737-i159-k20599…

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,040 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: b&b preferences?

Thanks. That was a great review, wasn't it? The Old St. Angela has space for us. Just waiting for some input from hubbie about which room he likes best.

Can't wait to get on some of those hiking trails!

7. Re: b&b preferences?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 14:18