We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17 mi drive TOLL - Avoiding/ waiver PG Inn to Big Sur

Poconos, PA
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
17 mi drive TOLL - Avoiding/ waiver PG Inn to Big Sur

It looks like it is only a couple of miles out of way to avoid the tolls if we want to drive from Asilomar Blvd down PCH to Big Sur for a day trip?

Mapquest will give me exact directions with the "avoid toll road option".

(And getting my "trip tiks" from AAA to travel with)

Is there more than one toll location? So one could pay a couple of dollars for a couple of miles, choosing what portion to drive? Or once you reach a certain point, you have to pay the rest of the tolls to get to other end?!

Little confused looking at map but just want to get in & out of Pacific Grove without dumping more money every day.

I'm sure 17mi drive is lovely, (and I don't mean that in a snotty way), but just not interested in paying for that tourist attraction just to get to and from my hotel on our day trips.

Staying in Pacific Grove and STILL holding out hope that we can drive down coast at least one afternoon.

thanks - Tina

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 17 mi drive TOLL - Avoiding/ waiver PG Inn to Big Sur

You do not need to take the 17 Mile Drive to get in and out of Pacific Grove. It really doesn't go anywhere, just meanders along the coast with lots of twists and turns, and there are more direct routes even to Carmel. The portion of 17MD in Pacific Grove is not a toll road, the tolls begin south of Hwy 68, south of Asilomar, at the Links at Spanish Bay.

If you do take the toll portion you pay a flat fee, there's no discount for only going part way.

As for Big Sur, it is really not looking good at the moment. They are moving the road closure considerably farther north this afternoon, and basically have no idea when they might be able to contain the fire.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,453 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 17 mi drive TOLL - Avoiding/ waiver PG Inn to Big Sur

Yes - it is very easy to avoid the tolls. Not to worry.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 17 mi drive TOLL - Avoiding/ waiver PG Inn to Big Sur

Tina

Big Sur has been completely evacuated. There is no access at this point.

However, you can still make a day trip out of Point Lobos State Reserve.

Just follow Ocean View Blvd along the coast. When it turns away from the coast it becomes Sunset Ave. Sunset ends at Forest Ave. Make a right turn. Forest will turn into Hwy 68. It's a lovely drive through a forested, windy road. You'll see the signs for Highway 1/17 Mile Drive. To avoid the gate into 17 Mile Drive, simply turn into the left lane from Hwy 68 and you'll be on the Hwy 1 on-ramp. No tolls to worry about. Even if you take a wrong turn, the toll gate keepers will allow you to turn around and get back to your intended route.

Poconos, PA
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 17 mi drive TOLL - Avoiding/ waiver PG Inn to Big Sur

Thanks for the TOLL info

Well we don't arrive in LA until the 10th for 2 nights.

Were then to be in SLO for 2 nights & Big Sur 2 nights.

Yes, I see more and more of PCH closing - such a shame and must be a scary time for the locals.

Already feeling guilty about making alternate plans and I have not even canceled my ressies yet!

And our next favorite choice has some fires too; Sequoia/Kings Canyon.

I guess I should have done better research about fire season before planning a CA vacation.

I think Ripplewood will not contact ME to cancel until last minute, if at all? No info at all on their website

It is the only ressie I have over the 8 nights in CA that I had to pay a full night in advance.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 17 mi drive TOLL - Avoiding/ waiver PG Inn to Big Sur

I'm sure Ripplewood will refund you in full since these are circumstances beyond anyone's control. I hope you have confirmation information. The only scary thing for your situation is if, God forbid, the whole town is lost and there is no Ripplewood left for you to secure a refund from.

6. Re: 17 mi drive TOLL - Avoiding/ waiver PG Inn to Big Sur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 09:21