We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place for a Steak

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
647 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
best place for a Steak

Hi, where would you suggest the best place to go for a nicely cooked steak, reasonably priced and relaxed, nothing too fancy? We have a car so anything in Pacific Grove or the surrounding areas.

Likewise what would you recommend in the way of bakeries?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove
Monterey County, CA
Pacific Grove Oceanview Boulevard
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Lovers Point
Beaches, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place for a Steak

Hi. The Whaling Station in Monterey is very popular. restauranteur.com/whalingstationmontereycom/

It's not my favorite, but it does have a very good selection. I like Tarpy's Roadhouse, which has several nice steak selections: http://www.tarpys.com/dinner.html. Another excellent place is Kurt's Chop House in Carmel.www.carmelchophouse.com/

There are two excellent bakeries in Pacific Grove: Pavel's on Forest Ave., about half a block above Lighthouse Ave., and Patisserie Bechler, which is at the top of Forest Ave., just before getting on Hwy 68. They have all the French pastries and also serve lunch (their quiche is great!). If you're in Carmel and want an afternoon pastry with tea or coffee, Patisserie Boisiere is very nice. It's on Mission St. at Carmel Plaza.

Mentioned in this post
Carmel Plaza
Carmel Plaza
86 Reviews
Carmel, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Tarpy's Roadhouse
Tarpy's Roadhouse
478 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
647 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place for a Steak

Hi, thanks for that, I knew I could trust you to help my pasty addiction and add some more inches to my hips!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place for a Steak

lol. As I was replying to your post, I was thinking, "They're going to think I do nothing but go to bakeries!" Not too far from the truth. In fact, I thought of one other place I really like. It's called Wild Plum: http://www.thewildplumcafe.com/cafe.html. Yum. Enjoy!

Level Contributor
37,567 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best place for a Steak

I would go with the Whaling Station for the steak, they have great desserts here, also. Enjoy your time on the coast! :)

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
647 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best place for a Steak

Thanks, I am sure we will. We did the Aquarium today and that was great, ended up at the Culinary Resturant for lunch which was really nice. Cannot believe how hot it has been.

Looking forward to trying some of the pasteries tomorrow! I am planning to eat my way down the west coast. :-)

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best place for a Steak

If you have time for lunch in Pacific Grove, try Red House Cafe on Lighthouse Ave. It's quaint and cozy, and the food is excellent. A real "taste" of California. Enjoy those pastries!

Mentioned in this post
Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove
Monterey County, CA
California
California
United States
Red House Cafe
Red House Cafe
1,156 Reviews
Pacific Grove, CA
Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
647 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best place for a Steak

Thanks again, will give that one a try as well. did the Pastries at Belcher this morning. They were just devine, what a wonderful place and so reasonably priced. thank you so much.

We are just around the corner so took a stroll there this morning, perhaps the short walk was enough to walk off the calories. yeah right!

We are already talking about what we are going to have from there for breakfast tomorrow. Forget the fact that we have plenty of fruit and things in the fridge where we are staying. Still when on holiday I am sure the calories dont count.

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
647 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best place for a Steak

Oops, Bechler!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best place for a Steak

So glad you enjoyed Bechler's. If (when) you go back, take a look at the book of wedding cakes they've made. Some of them are just amazing! Enjoy the rest of your stay. You couldn't have asked for better weather!

10. Re: best place for a Steak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 15:19
Get answers to your questions about Pacific Grove