We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carmel or Pacific Grove?

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Carmel or Pacific Grove?

Hello folks, I am looking for your thoughts on weather my partner & I should stay in Carmel or Pacific Grove for a night when we're in the area. This will be on the tail end of our honeymoon, after visiting Yosemite for a few days. We want to enjoy the coast, and explore the Big Sur area (maybe do some hiking). Also, after reading about the lack of great food choices in the Yosemite area...I think we'll be craving a truly good meal. So, with all of these said...which of these towns should we be considering??

If possible...give me your feedback on good (not 5 Star necessarily) hotels or B&Bs/Inns, tasty food (we don't mind a shack if the food is great), proximity to gorgeous views, etc.

Thanks in advance!!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,382 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carmel or Pacific Grove?

I highly recommend either Green Gables Inn or Seven Gables Inn in Pacific Grove. Both are lovely B&Bs across the street from the water, with amazing views. They are both within walking distance of downtown (Seven Gables is closer), where you'll find some excellent restaurants--my absolute favorite being Red House Cafe. The only problem I can see is that if you're coming in the summer, the inns may have a two-night minimum. During the week, that's probably less of an issue than on weekends. If these places are either too pricey or not available, you also can check out Gosby House Inn, also in Pacific Grove. It's two blocks from the water and just steps from the restaurants.

Carmel also is lovely, but it's more crowded in the summer, and nowhere in Carmel will you find the views that you get at the two PG inns I mentioned. I think that Pacific Grove, because it's small and quaint and has such a spectacular coastline, is a romantic place to be.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,751 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carmel or Pacific Grove?

I concur with PGdenizen. Pacific Grove is my favorite town on the Monterey Peninsula and either of the B&B's she suggested would be a wonderful top off to your honeymoon.

www.pginns.com

www.greengablesinnpg.com

A few more options:

www.gosbyhouseinn.com

www.martineinn.com

www.innat17.com

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Carmel or Pacific Grove?

I concur that Pacific Grove has the better B&Bs, mainly because that town has all of the grand old Victorian mansions that house them. And as already stated, most Carmel properties don't have ocean views. One exception is Mission Ranch just outside the city limits behind the Carmel mission. It might be worth consideration. It has several types of accommodations overlooking a sheep pasture and views of Point Lobos in the background. http://www.missionranchcarmel.com/ Mission Ranch also has a great rustic (though somewhat noisy) restaurant with piano bar on site.

Carmel has a much wider selection of restaurants than Pacific Grove. Lodgings within the business district of Carmel are within easy walking distance of countless restaurants to suit any taste and budget, plus art galleries and shops. And IMHO Carmel Beaches are the prettiest in California.

Bottom line:Pacific Grove has the best B&Bs, a few great restaurants, and a sleepy business district.

Carmel has a charming, vibrant business district, and a wide variety of restaurant options. The lodgings, while cozy, usually don't have views.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Level Contributor
36,376 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carmel or Pacific Grove?

The Tickle Pink Inn in the Carmel Highaland's area has gorgeous coastal views! It is just a short drive into downtown Carmel and you will be near Pt. Lobos State Reserve. We have enjoyed two fantastic stays at Tickle Pink Inn, there is a great outdoor hot tub there, wine and cheese reception in the afternoon and a great breakfast buffet. www.carmelcalfornia.com is a nice website for this area. :)

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Carmel or Pacific Grove?

Thank you all for your responses...lots of great info!

Would LOVE to stay at Seven Gables Inn, but, it's just too darn expensive. So, I think we're going to end up in Carmel. I haven't made a reservation, but, I'm considering the Lamp Lighter Inn...it looks like a cute little inn, and appears to be within walking distance to food, shopping, etc. We don't mind driving to see some sights, so, I think we will hop in the car and drive to see the gorgeous views that we will be lacking at our inn. What do you all think?

Also, is there another area we should be considering...for example, staying in the heart of Big Sur or something? (I know not much in the neighborhood of food, a "main street", etc. But, we're open to anything...if it's a beautiful (and affordable) place in the middle of the woods...we won't cross it off the short list. We're just trying to position ourselves to enjoy the area since we will only be there for a day.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,382 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carmel or Pacific Grove?

Hi. I think you'll love the Lamp Lighter. It's a really cute place with a small courtyard where you can have your coffee or read a book. As you said, you can walk everywhere. Big Sur is not a great option unless you want something on the rustic side and don't care about being able to restaurants, etc. Big Sur lodging is either very expensive ($400 a night and up) or somewhat basic (and quite frankly, not all that cheap). Big Sur makes a great day trip from Carmel, though, and I recommend that you take the drive down (about 45 minutes each way).

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,751 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carmel or Pacific Grove?

Carmel is the best choice since you only have the one day. Most everything on the Monterey Peninsula is within minutes of each other.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Carmel or Pacific Grove?

The Lamp Lighter would be a great choice. It really exemplifies Carmel's unique character, and is conveniently located. Both the beach and the business district are within easy walking distance.

Big Sur is too far away for your needs.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carmel or Pacific Grove?

Excuse me butting in on this post but I too have the same question. My preferred choices for accomodation in Carmel have either no availablity for my dates or haven't replied to my mails.

I then noticed on here that Pacific Grove sounds ideal and is very close to Carmel. I have looked on the map and I am a little confused as to where the centre is. I would ideally like to be near restaurants etc. I don't want anywhere too twee (I think that its referred to as doily over there). The Pacific Garden Inn comes highly recommended and is close to the sea which my husband would like.Time is getting on and I need to book somewhere before we leave for the US so all help gratefully received.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,382 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carmel or Pacific Grove?

As far as a "center," there really isn't one. The Peninsula is made up of discrete towns that border on each other. It's basically a ten-minute drive, at most, from Monterey to Carmel, Pacific Grove to Carmel, and so on. The location of Pacific Garden Inn is very nice--close to Asilomar Beach and in a wooded area. There is only one restaurant within walking distance: The Fishwife. It's pretty good, although there are better places to eat if you're willing to drive. Downtown Pacific Grove is probably a mile and a half or so from Pacific Garden Inn, and it has many very good restaurants: Red House Cafe (my favorite restaurant); Max's Grill; Fandango; and others. If you'd like to be in downtown, two blocks or so from the water and the recreation trail that runs along the coastline, the Gosby House Inn is nice (though kind of twee, but not the frilliest). A 10-block walk from downtown is The Inn at Seventeen Mile Drive, also a B&B, but craftsman style, so not so twee. I hope this helps.